PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the help....bookcase pics

Jared Cuneo
10-24-2007, 9:03 PM
I'd like to thank everyone (especially Mike Suiter, he has some of his work at suiteronline.com) for help on my first big project.

It's a copy of this bookcase: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=996&f=22558

Made from solid ash, joined with rabbets/dados, a couple of half laps and Miller dowels (I have a detailed sketchup file if anyone wants it) and the finish is ebozined with India Ink and Waterlox (3 coats of original/2 coats of 50/50 orig/satin per Mike)....

It came out great (for a first project)....Some things I learned were to apply thinner coats of waterlox, the finish is a bit 'heavy', however noone but me notices...Also, ash is a splintery wood, extra care is needed if you even look at the edges or corners funny. I also learned that tackling this complex of a finishing schedule requires plenty of patience at my beginner level and that there is no such thing as too much india ink :rolleyes: The black is a little weak in spots....

Again, thanks, and when I get the back finished and installed, I'll take some more pics....

JC

Greg Crawford
10-24-2007, 9:30 PM
Jared, looks real nice, especially for a piece that you were teaching yourself joinery. I'd like to see more pics, as the finish looks real intriguing.

Nino Maini
10-25-2007, 8:32 AM
Jared,

My brother has been pushing me to make a bedroom set with that finish, but I was worried on the correct method. Can you detail what you did as it looks GREAT!!

GERALD HARGROVE
10-25-2007, 9:12 AM
Jared,
Gerat job on the bookcase. In the picutes, the finish looks great.

Danny Thompson
10-25-2007, 9:19 AM
Jared, It looks great. LOML and I are trying to transition from a house furnished by the Pottery Barn Outlet to higher quality pieces. We like the style, but would like less mdf/more long-term durability. You've given us a great example of how to do that.

What were your total project costs and time to complete? Where did you get your India Ink?

Jared Cuneo
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
As far as the finish, Mike came up with the process, but here is what I did....I used 2 coats of India Ink (don't skimp! Use a flashlight and get it all BLACK), then I used 3 heavy coats of Waterlox original (though I would recommend thinner coats), then 2 coats of 50/50 Waterlox original and Satin.... I sanded lightly with 400 before the last coat and thinned the mixture (per Mike) with a little Mineral spirits to help reduce streaking.

I found it helpful to go over the last coat with light strokes along the grain...

As for cost, it came out to about 25-30BF of Ash @ $2.85 (Ash is the cheapest wood in my area, luckily, its takes india ink well). 3 2oz bottles of india ink (speedball brand from Michaels) @ 6 bucks a piece and the normal expendables....So probably around $100 or a little over....

Time to complete was about 25-30 hours....minus finishing time...several days there.....