PDA

View Full Version : Weekend project pictures

Michael Sapper
10-24-2007, 8:30 PM
I finished my first cabinet project this past week. It's a new bath vanity base for our 1/2 downstairs bath. (A granite top is undecided at this point). The vanity is solid cherry with the exception of the sides and door panels which are 1/2 inch veneer ply. The first picture is unfinished and the second is after 3 coats of BLO aged in the sun around 15 hours. My BH (better half) is requesting a semi-gloss finish! Any suggestions on an easy to apply, wipe on, wipe off finish? Oh and if you look close, the gap above the doors is larger than the bottom because the doors are not mounted yet.

Bill Wyko
10-24-2007, 8:40 PM
Nice job Michael. Looks like a top quality job.

Craig Stueve
10-24-2007, 8:41 PM
Looks good. You will have to post pics when you get it installed and the granite mounted.

Craig

frank shic
10-24-2007, 8:47 PM
nice job, michael! that's MUCH NICER than my first attempt...

Jim Becker
10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
That's a real beauty, Michael...and I like the unique design! Nice.... (and as a card-carrying Cherry-o-holic, I approve of the species choice, too... :D )

Michael Sapper
10-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Jim,

Thanks! I did the design work in Google Sketchup. If anyone wants the file, drop me a line!

Michael

Greg Cuetara
10-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Michael,
Very nice job. I am on a cherry kick right now and love to work with it. I made a baby changing table and a crib out of cherry.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67518

As for a finish I used waterlox which you can apply in many different ways, wiping, brushing, etc. etc. I just used a stain pad and put on 4-6 coats taking 24 hours between each coat. I think if you brush it on it is a little thicker and so you will need less coats. It went on very easy wiping it on and I was very happy with the results. I believe I used the original sealer / finish and it gave somewhere between a satin and semi-gloss finish, pretty much exactly what i was looking for but I do think they have a gloss formula. I still have to thank Steve Schoene for giving me the suggestion. Not sure how waterlox holds up to a wet environment like in a bathroom but I am sure others can chime in on that one.

Good luck with the finish.
Greg