PDA

View Full Version : Veneer glue bleed through

Scott Post
02-08-2004, 11:09 AM
I glued up my first veneered panel yesterday. It's a four way matched walnut burl. I used Unibond 800 and got a good bit of bleed through. Before I start going to town on it with a scraper, will this stuff scrape off enough to not show under a finish? The shiny spots are the bleed through.

By the way, thanks to those who gave advice about the Compact 100 vacuum press. It works great and Darryl Keil's video was all I needed to get started. I built a veneer shooting board to use with my LN low angled jack plane and the joints are all perfect. I had big plans to veneer up some practice panels first, but that burl was just calling my name. :)

http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/burl.jpg

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-08-2004, 3:07 PM
We laminated some 1/4" mesquite to sheets of MDF with DAP plastic resin glue for a big table before filling the voids with epxoy (this wasn't my idea, for what that's worth). Predictably, the glue filled the voids quite nicely, and pretty much looked like hell. Even tho it looks brown when dry, after sanding it showed up a 'pearly white' color.

I suspect if it bled through your veneer, you'll at least have the problem of those areas not taking stain, if you use any. At this point, you really don't have anything to lose by scraping/sandning away just to see what happens.

KC

Roger Barga
02-08-2004, 3:12 PM
I think you'll be fine - imho, this amount of bleed through is not overly excessive and you should have no problem sanding it out. Most of what you are seeing is glue that came through the pores and settled on the surface. A fews passes over the panel with 150/220, with extra attention on these glue spots, usually will remove this thin layer of glue. I don't use a scraper on veneer, but I guess it will be just as effective.

Please post a picture when your panel is complete.

cheers,
roger

James Carmichael
02-09-2004, 9:06 AM
I think you'll be fine - imho, this amount of bleed through is not overly excessive and you should have no problem sanding it out. Most of what you are seeing is glue that came through the pores and settled on the surface. A fews passes over the panel with 150/220, with extra attention on these glue spots, usually will remove this thin layer of glue. I don't use a scraper on veneer, but I guess it will be just as effective.

Please post a picture when your panel is complete.

cheers,
roger

I'll second that, please keep us updated on your progress. I've got some crotch-grain walnut veneer I'm dying to use, but not sure about how I'm going to glue/press it, leaning towards cold-press glue and making up cauls & platens.

craig carlson
02-09-2004, 8:58 PM
Hi,

I know this is hind sight but I have read that some folks size the veneer with a dilution of about 10 parts of water to one part of yellow glue to both sides of the veneer, let it dry and then glue it to your substrate, this provides a barrier to curtail the bleed thru. Anyone tried this?

Craig Carlson
Sebastopol, Ca

Scott Post
02-15-2004, 7:46 AM
I needn't have worried. The glue cleaned up fine with a card scraper and some sanding. I edge banded it yesterday and got a couple coats of shellac on it for protection until I figure out what I'm going to use it for. I'm leaning towards a blanket chest and my wife wants a cd cabinet. Guess which one it'll end up being?

http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/burl1.jpg

I bordered the burl a string sandwich of maple/beech/maple then edge banded with solid walnut.

http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Tmp/burledge.jpg

Todd Burch
02-15-2004, 8:40 AM
Scott, very nice joints!

Waymon Campbell
02-15-2004, 9:06 AM
Nicely done...and good luck on the CD cabinet!

Waymon...