PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Cedar for Outdoors

Ben Mathews
03-03-2003, 10:40 PM
A couple of times a year I get on a kick where I make outdoor stuff out of cedar. I have built a couple of sets of furniture, some tables, and a ton of bird houses and feeders. I have been using Minwax Clear Shield on the furniture and nothing on the bird stuff. I don't like the "plastic" look of the Clear Shield, but also don't like letting the wood gray out. I hate to say that I am looking for a cure all, but I would like a finish that will keep the visual qualities of the wood, keep it from graying, last for several years without reapplication, and be animal safe. I can only spray from May to October, so the finish has to be brushable. What are my options? Thanks!

Dr. Zack Jennings
03-04-2003, 8:28 AM
This has been discussed many times. The most effective outdoor, in the weather, clear finish is Marine Spar Varnish and this finish needs to be renewed every year. [Light sanding and a new coat]I think Epifanes is often quoted as the best.

I have done this. You may think it still looks good after 1 year but don't procrastine. It will crack and begin to delaminate. Then it is too late for a light sanding.

Another Method Don't use any finish. Use a good quality water sealer, not the cheap stuff. At the beginning of each Summer, Power wash and reapply the Water Sealer. This will renew the color.

<center>Weather is the enemy. The replys below seem more to the point. So I defer to them. Edited 3/5/03</center>

Jason Roehl
03-04-2003, 8:33 AM
I have to disagree with Zack here. What he recommends is the best film-building finish, but there are clear penetrants out there that will give you a couple years at least, but probably no more than 4-5. Go to your local Sherwin-Williams store and ask for a clear exterior UV sealant. I think you can get it in either an oil-based or a water-cleanup version. They get even better with a little bit of tint to them (either custom-tinted, or there are some stock colors as well that don't add a whole lot of color to the cedar).

Jason

Self-employed Painter

Phil Phelps
03-04-2003, 9:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Roehl
[ They get even better with a little bit of tint to them (either custom-tinted, or there are some stock colors as well that don't add a whole lot of color to the cedar).

Jason

Agree. A tint, or transparent stain, for color, works well. Remember, the more red in your color, is the first to go in the suns bleaching. I, personally, wouldn't want to "refinish" something every year. Routine get plenty boring.:rolleyes:

Joe Suelter
03-04-2003, 1:04 PM
I have used a product called Penefin (sp) on my outdoor products. I purchased it at my Benjamin Moore dealer. I used it as well on my deck. This has Rosewood oil in it, and it stinks to high heaven for about a month...my wife says it smells like wet dog! It is a great finish for outdoor stuff, but I don't think it will fare well with our feathered friends!! I leave my bird-feeders natural--no sealant. They last for a couple of years, then they are firewood, but for the $12 I have in making them, it's worth it to me. By the way, the Penifin comes in a large variety of tints. Good Luck. Joe