PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Knock off or Does it really Matter?

Paul Snowden
10-24-2007, 3:56 PM
I tried my friend's pocket jig and I decided to pick up one myself. Now, I don't mind paying for a good one but i'm not sure if it really matters. I see this one on Ebay and i'm not sure it works or is a hunk of junk

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/42000084/Images/4/pocket%20hole%20jig__1.jpg

So basically give me your pocket jig advise.

David Duke
10-24-2007, 4:01 PM
I haven't used anything other than the Kreg (which is a well made tool) so I can't comment on the jig shown other than to state that you normally get what you pay for.

Paul Snowden
10-24-2007, 4:04 PM
I haven't used anything other than the Kreg (which is a well made tool) so I can't comment on the jig shown other than to state that you normally get what you pay for.

That is what i'm wondering. If you think I should go with the Kreg route which one would recommend me getting?

Gary Whitt
10-24-2007, 4:10 PM
If you use one everyday, buy a high-end unit.

If, like me, it's more like once every 2-4 weeks, the one you pictured will do fine.

Buy good quality drill bits and screws.

Paul Snowden
10-24-2007, 4:15 PM
If you use one everyday, buy a high-end unit.

If, like me, it's more like once every 2-4 weeks, the one you pictured will do fine.

Buy good quality drill bits and screws.

I think I would only be using it every few weeks or so.

Gary Whitt
10-24-2007, 4:28 PM
I bought a $38 unit from Klingspor's.

I've been using it for 3 years now.

On my 3rd drill bit, though :(

Kyle Kraft
10-24-2007, 4:42 PM
I built my own from a mental photograph of a currently popular brand of pocket hole jig. I've also used my friends Kreg mega kit and I was impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship, not to mention how well it worked. If my homemade one wasn't such a raging success, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the bucks for the Kreg.

GERALD HARGROVE
10-24-2007, 5:00 PM
You can get a Kreg set at Lowes, if your use for simple cabinet frame assembly and other small tasks. That is what I did and it has done fine for me over the past couple of years.

Todd Jensen
10-24-2007, 5:18 PM
$120 for the Kreg kit - a little overkill, and I don't use it that often, but it should last a lifetime and for my $ I'd rather have the good one - it sure is a pain to find out the cheap one doesn't work that great the day before a project is due. JMO, but I'm kind've a tool snob and don't mind paying for the accuracy and reliability of the nicer tools. I could use a skil saw and a clamp on guide - but I've got a Festool setup instead.
I also know it shouldn't matter(and I don't know if you're a hobbyist or professional), but for me, this is my business, and I think people do notice when you pull out the nicer stuff - to some it shows you care.
That said, if you can pull off the same quality with a large rock and a stick, who really cares. :) Either way, have fun with your tool and project.

frank shic
10-24-2007, 6:38 PM
paul, even though kreg tools has pretty much cornered the hobbyist market with pocket screw technology, i think that the jig you mentioned will do fine for occasional use. i am currently building a patio table with 2x4's and 2x6's and i just freehanded the pocket holes with a 3/8" brad bit and the joints are pretty tight even without using a pocket hole jig.

pat fowler
10-24-2007, 8:22 PM
Paul, I have a pocket hole jig from PSI that looks identical to the one you picture and have been using it for a couple of years. I am a hobbiest but have put a few hour worth of holes into a fair amount of wood with mine a feel like it is a very good jig.

Jim Kountz
10-24-2007, 9:10 PM
The only one I can comment on is the Kreg jig. I used one for a while until my GrandDad told me to leave the fancy gadgets alone and learn some %*$&$# joinery like a real cabinetmaker!! LOL

That said the Kreg did a real nice job.

Phil Thien
10-24-2007, 10:20 PM
The only thing I'll mention about the pictured unit is that it seems like it would only be good for 3/4" thick stock. The lower-end Kreg I have will work w/ up to 1-1/2" thick stock.

frank shic
10-25-2007, 1:06 AM
paul, regardless of which pocket hole jig you go with, make sure that you purchase a LFC (large face clamp) to do your face frame clamping. it'll minimize the chances of joint creep and decrease the amount of finish sanding you'll have to do afterwards. i usually set the pressure on the clamp by closing the jaws on the piece to be clamped, turning the screw the jaws surroudn the piece and then giving it another turn to make sure that there's adequate pressure. if you are planning on using pocket holes to join a face frame to a cabinet, the RAC (right angle clamp) isn't a bad investment, either.

Rich Engelhardt
10-25-2007, 7:37 AM
Hello,
I bought the ~ $40.00 "two hole" Kreg.
It works exactly as advertised. I'm 100% satisfied with it.
The only "shortcoming" it has, is that's it's a bit tricky to use on narrow stock, due to the "two holes".
Since Kreg offers a sinlge hole one for ~ $20.00, I don't really consider that an issue.

On topic of knock off vs "the real deal".

I've found in my limited experience so far, that "knock off's" and/or lower end tools/jigs all suffer from one critical flaw.

They only do ~ 90 - 95% of the job the better stuff does.
That may or may not be an immedite issue, but sure as shootin' it's going to "bite you" at the worst possible time.

For eg.:
Last Nov, I bought a Ryobi 10" CMS.(the $99.00 model on sale for $59.00)

It's been a real workhorse and I'm pleased with it for the most part. Last night however, I had to cut 4 pieces of crown molding. I setup the Benchdog jig and made the first cut on the left side of the blade. When i went to make the second cut on the right side of the blade, I found to my dismay, that the locking pin hit the top of the jig. No way, no how would it work.
Since I'm extremely pressed for time, I had to "freehand" the cuts. Needless to say they didn't turn out so great.:rolleyes:
Things turned out Ok - it's for the basement of a rental & will probably be destroyed in a year or two anyhow.

IMHO - knock offs can be a terrific value - up until the point comes where you "need" some specific feature they lack.

Bill White
10-25-2007, 8:14 AM
Buy the Kreg set that fits your needs. Don't have to buy the whole magilla if ya don't need it.
I've had the basic set for 8-9 yrs with good results.
Bill

Al Willits
10-25-2007, 8:42 AM
Another newbie here and fwiw I bought the Kreg kit on sale for a little over a $100, what I am finding is that as I get better at woodworking I'm using more of this kit.
Buy the Kreg and be done with it, I think money saved by scrimping is often money wasted.

Al

Mike Wilkins
10-25-2007, 8:57 AM
Funny this topic should come up today. Last night I was using an el-cheapo knock-off of a pocket hole jig, when all of a sudden, one of the drill insert bushings started spinning and just came out. Had a bear of a time trying to get this thing off my drill bit.
Now I am looking hard at one of the Kreg set-ups.
That's what I get trying to save some pennies.

Dave Bonde
10-25-2007, 9:06 AM
As others have said I have the original Kreg (metal one) and always use Kreg screws and bits. If I ever need to replace it I will but a Kreg again. Dave

Chuck Tringo
10-25-2007, 9:52 AM
I got one of these off of ebay, and it works great for me. I liked it better than the Kreg because you could adjust the width between the 2 holes, and i like aluminum better than plastic. This is a whole set with face clamp for $40, limited offer though.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10298.html

Bill Ragland
10-25-2007, 11:05 AM
The Kreg 2000 can still be purchased for around $80 when on sale. It is the forerunner of the current Kreg Master kit and does about the same thing but missing the dust collection attachment. The Kregs are well made and Kreg has one of the best customer service departments I have ever dealt with. They also have a drill bit sharpening service at a reasonable cost.

frank shic
10-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I got one of these off of ebay, and it works great for me. I liked it better than the Kreg because you could adjust the width between the 2 holes, and i like aluminum better than plastic. This is a whole set with face clamp for $40, limited offer though.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10298.html

that's a neat feature, chuck!

Scott Rollins
10-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I bought a jig that looks jsut like that one at "Workshop tools". It flexes very badly. The drill that comes with it needs to be thrown away. I bought the single hole Kreg unit with a drill at lowes...a world better! The single hole unit works for me and my applications. I use it occasionally 1-2 per month.

Greg Muller
10-25-2007, 2:14 PM
I just bought the Kreg Master set. I can't tell you how pleased i am with this purchase! I almost bought one of the smaller Kreg sets, but after 3 hours of using the jig with the face clamp only, I decided to mount the block/clamp/vac setup. The speed that I was joining material after that was making me dizzy. That setup was really well-thought-out, you don't even have to reach over your stock to work the clamp. That is a feature that is not available with any other kit I looked at.

In one weekend, not only did I master the whole kit, I was building dust rails, cabinets, and face frames in record time.

I really have to thank the SMC guys for pointing me in the right direction on that purchase!
:D :D

By the way, Woodcraft gives you an additional 3 hole block when you buy the Master kit as part of a sale right now! That means one block can stay in the table mount kit and one for taking with you and using with the clamp. Bonus!

D Randall
10-25-2007, 2:31 PM
I've got the one in the picture. dont use it much. it's been just fine. as has been said. if you're going to use it to make $$, go big. if you'll use it once in awhile, get that one and you'll be just fine.