PDA

View Full Version : Klingspor "Stearate" sandpaper

Larry Browning
02-08-2004, 10:13 AM
I am about to order some Klingspor sanding disks for my ROS from The Woodworking Shop and I need a little advice. They have several kinds of paper. I am leaning toward the "E-weight" Aluminum Oxide, but they also have the Zinc Stearate paper. I will be using these for general woodworking and finishing. Which would be the best to get? Also what grits should I get? They have combo packs, but I thought it might not use some of the grits and it might be better to just buy several 10-packs of just the grits I need and if I did that, what would be a good set of grits to get?

Thanks,

Dick Parr
02-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Larry, can't really help ya with the different types, I don't know myself so I will be interested to see some answers. But if you are going to order some mail order, why not buy the box's of 50? 10 disks won't last very long and then you will need to order again.

As far as the different grits; I don't go less the 80 because if I that doesn't work I use a belt sander. The main ones I use are 100, 120 or 150 and then 220. Then use 600 in between coats of finish. Works for me. Good luck.

Larry Browning
02-08-2004, 11:00 AM
Larry, can't really help ya with the different types, I don't know myself so I will be interested to see some answers. But if you are going to order some mail order, why not buy the box's of 50? 10 disks won't last very long and then you will need to order again.

As far as the different grits; I don't go less the 80 because if I that doesn't work I use a belt sander. The main ones I use are 100, 120 or 150 and then 220. Then use 600 in between coats of finish. Works for me. Good luck.

Dick,
This boy is on a limited monthly woodworking budget, and spending $120 for sandpaper in 1 big chunck is just a little too much for my meager allowance. I only make 4 or 5 projects a year, (As you may recall, I am the slowest woodworker on the planet, and darn proud of it!) so it would take me years to go through 300 ROS disks. Plus, I am saving up for that new Grizzly cab. saw and jointer. So, even though I will be spending a little more than buying "bulk", it makes since for me to buy in smaller quantities so I can buy other things like screws and finishing supplies. Surely I am not the only one on this forum on a limited budget.

Terry Hatfield
02-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Larry,

Mountainburg???? Dude, we are practically neighbors!!! Come up to Springdale and visit me sometime!!!

Grits depend on what you are going to do with the ROS. I have a Perfromax and use it to get to 150 stage. I just ROS with 180 and finish.

I do use 80 grit to buzz down a joint or etc. that I want to go faster than with the 180 so I only buy 80 and 180. If you are going to use the ROS for sanding between coats of finish then perhaps some 320 or finer up to 600 would be good. Some folks finish to finer than 180, so it just depends on your preference.

80/120/180/220/320 would cover most all your bases.

"Stearate" paper has a release agent coating sort of like soap. It lets you use the paper longer without clogging. The "E" weight paper is most likely going to last a bit longer and it is on a heavier backing. Either way is fine. You can't go wrong with any paper that Klingspor sells. IMHO of course. :)

Terry

David LaRue
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
I got the serrate, its less costly and just as good over the life of the sandpaper. I got 150 and 220 for my ROS. I would just but wet/dry sheet sand paper for the finish coat sanding. That you can get anywhere in low quantities. .02

Dave

Larry Browning
02-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Larry,

Mountainburg???? Dude, we are practically neighbors!!! Come up to Springdale and visit me sometime!!!

Terry

Terry, I would absolutely LOVE to come see your shop! I just build a new 30x42 shop of my own, (hince, the limited budget! see previous post). I thought I was doing pretty well until I took the virtual tour of yours. My shop is not as well equipped as yours, but over time I hope to get there. My major wish list includes and new Grizzly G1023SL and their new 8" jointer. After that I want to install a killer dust collection system simuliar to yours. Then somewhere in there I want to build a real woodworking workbench. Anyway, PM me sometime so we can find a time for me to visit.

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 1:45 PM
One caution about the searate paper...it can sometimes cause issues with certain finishes, such as WB lacquers. If you use such finishes, be sure to check on the compatibility.

I use the Klingspoor searated paper and find it to be quite good...lasts a long time and "cleans up" nicely to insure even longer usefulness.

Andy Halterman
02-08-2004, 1:54 PM
Larry,

I've used just about every type Klingspor offers and I have found their heavyweight ROS discs to be the best. The sterated stuff is good but even the heavyweights tend to last longer. I own a floor sanding business and our number one type of wood we work on is heart pine. As you can imagine, we got through lots of sandpaper. We use the ROS around the edges blend the areas together. It's a few extra bucks but they pay for themselves by lasting about 50% longer for me.

YMMV.

Andy Halterman

Breakin' for lunch and then it's firewood splittin' time in Hendersonville, NC

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-08-2004, 2:59 PM
I use the heabyweight paper (reddish color) for big stock removal (60/80 grit), and the stearated (white) 100 grit. I use the 'heavy' cloth backed sheets for finish sanding. Been using the same stuff for several years now, and although I've had a few instances of fisheye or other problems, I've never been convinced it was due to the sandpaper...else it would happen much more regularly.

KC