PDA

View Full Version : OK guys - now what (logs to turning stock)

Dave Bonde
10-24-2007, 2:19 PM
My neighbor cut down a walnut tree and I managed to salvage a few chunks. But now what? I am mainly asking about how to process the two crotch pieces in the picture. One is small and the other is large. I have a chainsaw and a MM16 bandsaw but have not processed logs into material to turn on the lathe just flat stuff. Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated. Dave

Brodie Brickey
10-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Seal them with anchor seal / green wood sealer / latex paint.

Start looking at the logs you have and figuring out what you want to turn them. Start rough turning this weekend to about an 1" thick consistently.

You'll want to slice the pith out or turn it away when you are roughing your bowls.

Since its walnut, the shavings can't be used around animals and they aren't good for compost.

The more logs you rough out now, and put up for drying the better off you'll be.

Green logs are easier to turn.
You'll have a batch that are ready to finish turn in January unless you do the DNA thing (I don't but I'm not in a rush).
You'll have more space for the next tree that comes down.
You're SO will be willing to see more logs coming in, if you're already roughing the existing.Good luck, and remember to take some pictures, both of the all the shavings you'll create and the rough outs.

Dave Bonde
10-24-2007, 9:06 PM
Thanks Brodie that sound like good advise. Dave