PDA

View Full Version : Drying and sealing questions..

Anchor Sarslow
10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
I want to see if I have this correct.. Help me out if I get this wrong.

I am getting some turning blocks, sealed in wax (assuming Anchor Seal or equivelent?) That are processed green sealed and dried 3 months.

Questions...

Does sealed wood still dry?

If I turn these blocks, do I partial turn and then dry for a few months and then come back to finish?

Do I need to remove the outtere wax before turning.?

I read a thread, now I cannot find it, that explained some kind of liquid soaking process, can someone help line me up with that or tell me what that is suppposed to do?

SOrry about the rookie questions but I am not sure what to even search for.

Anchor

Mike Vickery
10-24-2007, 2:36 PM
Yes it does still dry sealed, just at a slower rate.
Many turn in one session but they usually turn them thin. I would recommend roughing them out and coming back to them when they are dry, but you can go either way.
No you do not need to remove the wax, your turning tools will do it for you.
Look up DNA drying for them liquid soaking prcess.

Anchor Sarslow
10-24-2007, 3:24 PM
OK, I do recall the DNA Process. Does this pull out both water and wood oils?

How much can or wil lthis speed drying and will it assist in preventing cracking and checking?

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2007, 5:00 PM
Anchor - try this website. It should answer most of your questions about alcohol drying.

www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml (http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml)

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2007, 5:27 PM
Anchor it takes about 1 yr. per inch to dry wood. I use the DNA process and after roughing, soaking for 24 to 72 hrs, wrapping in a brown grocery sack, cut a opening in the paper sack on the bowl side so air can get in to dry it, then the bowl will generally be ready to finish turning in 2 to 4 weeks. I have even forgotten to take a bowl out of the DNA that sat there for a week and it did not hurt a thing. The website with the DNA procedure Steve gave you is exactly what I use.