PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Bowl

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
This 12.5 inches wide X 5.5 inches high cedar bowl is finished in lacquer. This was one of those I could not keep the bark on so I left it really natural. Your comments pro and con are welcomed.

Benjamin Dahl
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Glenn, that is a beauty. I like the information you included with your signature.
Ben

Pete Jordan
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Glenn,

That turned out wonderful! It looks great without the bark.

Ron Journeau
10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Jeez..I really like that one...I think it's the really natural edge.nice job

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Benjamin, thats what the customer wanted on the bottom. I do this often people like it. Thanks for your kind comments.

Bobby Perry
10-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I love the look of cedar. I got a good supply of it. I also like turning it. That is a beautiful bowl.

Paul Engle
10-24-2007, 1:13 PM
Nice piece Glenn, excellent, even w/o the bark.!

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2007, 1:30 PM
Glenn that is beautiful. I really like the NE form.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2007, 1:40 PM
Nicely done Glenn! as always!

Ed Scolforo
10-24-2007, 3:47 PM
Glenn, that's a good looking bowl, even without the bark. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2007, 4:29 PM
I appreciate your favorable remarks Ed, and the bowl is sold. You have an eye for bowls which will sell, thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2007, 4:55 PM
Absolutely beautiful bowl Glenn! Love the color and the history! I'm sure your customer will treasure it! Very nice work!

Robert McGowen
10-24-2007, 6:10 PM
Very nice Glenn. Love the finish.

Mike A. Smith
10-24-2007, 7:16 PM
Good one Glenn, I love cedar.

Terry Quiram
10-24-2007, 7:31 PM
IMHO Cedar is one of the toughest woods to sand and finish. You did an excellent job. Its a very nice bowl.

Terry

Jim Kountz
10-24-2007, 7:59 PM
Excellent job! I bet the shop smelled great while turning that one.

Rick Gifford
10-24-2007, 11:17 PM
You did a good job showing off the color layers on that. I really like it. I haven't turned any cedar yet (just a beginner here) but look forward to it. Especially when I see how nice it looks like that.

Alan Arnup
10-25-2007, 5:20 AM
Excellent result Glenn!

I hope to one day produce items of that standard.:rolleyes:

Alan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2007, 2:39 PM
Terry I also hate to sand cedar. The only reason I mess with it is because it is so beautiful. I know it is prone to crack also.

Skip Spaulding
10-25-2007, 5:09 PM
BEAUTIFUL piece Glenn, a hundred years or so from now that history will make that bowl worth a fortune!

Larry Marley
10-25-2007, 9:59 PM
Just beautiful.

Neal Addy
10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Glenn, this is terrific! I love the form and color contrast.

Allen Neighbors
10-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Hello, Glenn, you've made a beautiful bowl here. I like everything about it, and like someone before me has already said, you're to be commended for finishing the cedar so well. Women will feel the surface of this bowl, and say, "It's so 'soft'!" (of course they mean 'smooth'.) And, invariably, when you make a natural edged bowl like this, someone will always look at it and ask, "How did you make it not round?" :)
You said, "Your comments pro and con are welcomed."
This isn't a con... it's a suggestion: Over time, moving a bowl like this around can be detrimental to the inscription on the bottom. If you concave the bottom a little and put the inscription in that part, it won't wear off over the years. It'll also make it a little more firm footed when they set it on an uneven antique table top. :D
Good work!

Leland Berry
10-26-2007, 7:06 AM
WOW factor about a 10--I hope you could answer a couple of "cedar turning" questions. Learning to turn is my next wish, in part because I
build lots of Aromatic Cedar items-arbors,garden bridges etc. and the
mill where I buy stock has zillions of chunks that I've always thought
would look great turned, but I thought being soft and having such
varience of sap & heart wood would be a turning prob., but if so you
seemed to have solved them. Is there anything unique to know about
it that you could share. ( Or it may be that I'm simply ignorant.)
Thanx--LeeB, Benton AR

Christopher K. Hartley
10-26-2007, 8:13 AM
Glenn, I am not normally a big NE fan (just my personal preference); however, I must say this piece for me is very striking. Great Job!!:)

Glenn Hodges
10-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Leland, cedar is so easy to turn, but diffult to sand because being so soft it will leave a scratch with your sandpaper. I have used a tung oil mixture in the past for a finish, but cedar just keeps on soaking up the finish. This is why I have gone to lacquer (Deft spray can). One problem with cedar is that is will crack. I have even held a turned bowl in my hand and heard the pop of a crack, and believe me this will get you excited. I think one problem with the cracking comes from the fact that lots of old cedar tree trunks are hollow and turners turn the large limbs, and these limbs exhibit stress. Stress will produce cracks. If you do not finish the cedar piece after turning it will stain easily, but will be a delight to someone when they do the nose test. As you can see cedar presents a remarkable contrast between the sap and heartwood, and a nice way to show this is with the natural edge form. Oh yeah, almost forgot, green sap from the cedar is sticky almost like pine tar, and that is about all I can think of, hope it helps.