PDA

View Full Version : Electric switch help

Marty Rose
10-24-2007, 9:54 AM
Yesterday I purchased a Stationary belt sander,made in the 40's. The switch is 110,and has a pooched out area on the side. The switch is non-fuctional and I would like to replace it. Will a stadard 110 switch work? The present switch when you place it in the on position,will automaticaly go to the off position,much like a tripped circurt braker which is no good. I hope someone can help me with my problem Thanks.

Lee Schierer
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
My jointer is wired with a light switch. Just make sure the plug, cord and switch are rated for the current load of the motor and the wiring is all done inside acceptable boxes.

Chris Friesen
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
The key question is the HP rating of the motor. Ideally you would want a switch rated for that or higher.

Marty Rose
10-24-2007, 7:11 PM
The motor is a 1/4 horse, G.E. and old. Not sure it works yet. I will take your advice about the hp rating and see if it works. Marty

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2007, 8:59 PM
Marty.....is the original switch going off....when the motor is unplugged?Or is it doing it when power is applied?If it's doing it when power is applied,....maybe it is a circuit breaker and the motor has a short in it.....

Marty Rose
10-25-2007, 8:20 AM
The switch will not stay in the ON POSITION, I did plug it in but nothing changed, (smoke test). If I could take a picture of the switch and post it, I would so everyone could see. In checking with a neighbor,he concured that the pooched out area on the switch might be a built in circurt breaker. This mach. was used in a mach. shop,and it might have been used around water,or other liquids?