PDA

View Full Version : Input on Festool ROS

Roger Barga
02-08-2004, 4:41 AM
Since I received my new Festool jigsaw and circular saw, which are both wonderful tools, I've been considering upgrading my old trusty PC ROS to a Festool 150/3 or 150/5. The product reviews I've read on the web are tempting - reduced dust, lower vibration and fewer swirl marks on the wood. However, before I take the plunge I'd appreciate feedback from those of you on the Creek who own a Festool ROS. Specifically, is it as good as the magazine reviews claim? And, if I already have a ROS to hog off material (a Fein ROS), would it make more sense to get the 150/3 to use for fine sanding or is the 150/5 the better choice. Any input would be appreciated.

All the best,
Roger

Todd Burch
02-08-2004, 8:46 AM
Hi Roger. I have 3 of the PC ROS'ers (PC 333VS) and one Festool ES150/3. I always grab for the Festool first.

Yes, it is quiet, but I still wear ear protection, since there is a sander and a vacuum running. 9 times out of 10, I can't hear the vacuum running for the noise that the sander makes. I can't hear myself think with the PC running.

Yes, it is smoother (a lot smoother than the PC), but it still vibrates (that's what it does, remember). I find, however, that it is much easier to control than the PC. My PC's want to go places that I don't want them to go, and they jerk and grab, whereas the Festool, for the most part, is well behaved. I've found that when sanding the edge of doors (the 3/4" plane), the Festool wants to keep itself self-centered, which is a good thing. The first thing I noticed when using this sander on the edge of a door what that the dust it was creating would fall down into space, and then get sucked back up into the sander's dust collection port. It's amazing.

As far as fewer swirl marks, don't kid yourself. If you are used to stopping at 220 grit with your PC, don't think you can stop at 180 with the Festool. Scratches are scratches, and you still have to apply a proper finishing schedule. Personally, I hate it when I can see swirl marks through a finish. I consider them one of the biggest signs of "slop" (aside from non-tight joinery). Therefore, that was my logic for picking the 150/3 over the 150/5. (To those of you that don't know - the 150/3 has a 3mm swirl while the 150/5 has a 5mm swirl pattern.)

I actually find that I am sanding longer with the Festool now, but, it's not a bad thing (and not that much longer). The 6" pad with the Festool REALLY makes a difference over the 5" PC. It covers more turf, and is also better balanced because of it. You are less likely to press hard with it, and also less tempted to tilt a corner into a divot to sand it out. Just let the sander do the work.

I do consider my 150/3 a finishing sander. With my PC's I would not hesitate to apply some 60 grit to hog off material. However, with the 150/3, in my opinion, it's just not the proper tool for hogging off material. I think the Rotex would be the right tool for that.

Bob Marino - if I've forgotten anything, please embellish.

Todd.

Christian Aufreiter
02-08-2004, 9:10 AM
Since I received my new Festool jigsaw and circular saw, which are both wonderful tools, I've been considering upgrading my old trusty PC ROS to a Festool 150/3 or 150/5. The product reviews I've read on the web are tempting - reduced dust, lower vibration and fewer swirl marks on the wood. However, before I take the plunge I'd appreciate feedback from those of you on the Creek who own a Festool ROS. Specifically, is it as good as the magazine reviews claim? And, if I already have a ROS to hog off material (a Fein ROS), would it make more sense to get the 150/3 to use for fine sanding or is the 150/5 the better choice. Any input would be appreciated.

All the best,
Roger

Hi Roger,

I have a ES 150/3 and really like it.
Excellent design and ergonomics, well balanced and low weight (you can use it very comfortably with one or two hands), VS, hardly any vibrations (very important if you sand an extended period of time), extremely smooth sanding operation and great finish result, hook and loop (Festool calls it Stickfix) and the best dust collection I can imagine.
The sander comes with a filter bag which works quite well but if possible connect it to a vac. As already mentioned I have the Festool CT 22 vac (wet/dry extraction, auto on/off, variable suction - very important when using a vac attached to a sander) and have to admit that this combination is hard to beat. It allows almost dust-free sanding.

There are some reviews on the web you might like to check out:

http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/festool.html
http://www.cjohnhebert.com/Festoolsander.htm
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/men-fes.htm
http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Festool/FestoolIndex.html
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_es150.htm

The ES 150/5 is more aggressive but I guess that it can be used for finish sanding, too. If you already have a sander for rough jobs I'd recommend to go with the ES 150/3. You might like to contact Bob Marino at ROBARLMAR@aol.com. Bob is Festool ISA and hobby woodworker and I always receive great help and support form him.

Hope this helps,

Christian

John Miliunas
02-08-2004, 9:53 AM
Roger, I see that Todd and Christian have already given you great rundowns on the 150/3. I have two Festool sanders: The 125, 5", as well as the 150/5. As the other guys have iterated, the 150/5 is more aggressive. That's the MAIN reason I bought. And yes, it does a heckuva' job hogging off a lot of material with an aggressive disc attached. Even though 150/5 is more aggressive, I still find it extremely smooth, easy to handle and don't get sore from using it. I have some arthritis and a bit of carpal tunnel, so smooth-running was one of the main reasons I went to Festool. That said, if you have use for taking a fair amount of material off, but still need it for finishing, I still wouldn't hesitate recommending the 150/5. As long as you follow through with grit progression and keep a light touch (let the sander do the job!), I have found it quite suitable for some finish work, as well. I do, however, have the 125, which while a bit smaller, does a superb job for finishing. If your budget allows for it and you *really* want the best of both worlds, go with the Rotex!

And, as the other guys said, dust collection is simply awesome! I bought the 150/5 primarily for refinishing stationary cabinets IN the house and, when hooked up to a fine-filtered vac (Fein Mini Turbo, in my case), it can easily be used in a habited environment. The sanding disks from Festool are, I believe, to be some of the best in the industry and are very competitively priced. With the vac attached, they last a LONG time, as well!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I ever have want or need for a power tool or accessory which Festool manufactures, I will look no further! Period. End of story. :D (Did you want me to tell you how I *really* feel about Festool?) :D Oh, and let's NOT forget about their Customer Service. Unsurpassed! If all OEM's took Festool for a model, our tool buying decisions would become much, much harder, IMHO. :cool:

Dave Avery
02-08-2004, 9:56 AM
Roger,

I have the Rotex and use it for everything from very aggressive material removal to finish sanding to polishing. It's a little big, but it's my favorite tool in the shop. Sanding has gone from drudgery to something I can actually tolerate. Dave.

Mark Valsi
02-08-2004, 1:12 PM
I love mine, it is great on all fronts !!

Dennis Peacock
02-08-2004, 2:24 PM
Todd and others,

Nice job on covering the details and differences. :)

Roger,

Since you already own a Festool "tool".....then why do you even wonder about upgrading from PC to Festool? Dude....I went through a few PC sanders until I found out about Festool. I thought long and hard about it due to the high cost of the tools. Bob Marino talked to me and gave me the info I needed and was looking for to make my final decision.

I have the ES125 and the ES150. I can't tell you how much happier with sanding now that I have something that doesn't put my hands to sleep, leave my arm tingling and is a LOT quieter than any PC sander I have ever had.

You know Festool quality.......just buy you a good sander and start smiling while you sand. :D

Chris Pasko
02-08-2004, 2:52 PM
I too have the rotex and absolutely love it, however I will most likely be purchasing the 150/3 here shortly for the fine finish I hear it gives. I have heard only great tings about it.

Bob Marino
02-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Roger,

I think the guys covered the differences and features very well. If I had the Fein (or similarly the Rotex), which are right angle ros's, I would think the 150/3 would be the better choice.

Bob

Lloyd Robins
02-09-2004, 1:00 AM
I absolutely love my 150/5. It will do everything required of a sander and do it well. I imagine the 150/3 would be nice also, but I only have one so I went for the 150/5. Good luck.

Chris Padilla
02-09-2004, 12:23 PM
LOML used the 150/5 this weekend for sanding up some doors to be painted. I shoulda snapped a pic or two! I also have it mated to the CT-11e Festool Vacuum--wonderful combo. It is amazing how much dust is picked up...just amazing. Further, it is sooooo quiet. I normally wear hearing protection with most tool operation but I can stand this one for a short period of time.

In hindsight, I should have gotten a Rotex for the versatility (I have Bob keeping an eye on the 20% list daily :D ).

I will probably maybe unload the 150/5 when I get my hands on the Rotex. Then I will see if I should go for the 150/3.

Anyone else have experience with any of the other Festool sanders? I am curious about those...it seems ROS are the norm for most people nowadays.

celsik
02-09-2004, 1:47 PM
Well I have a question. I am on the verge of getting a ES 125. I want to replace my PC for sanding scroll fret work (small stuff). Thus the 125 will fit the bill better with a 5" pad. I usually sand to 220 grit. I am a little confused on the Festool sand paper. The wood paper(Rubin) stops at 180. For finer grits do you use Brilliant or Titan? I looked on Klingspors site and did not see anything for the 125 (5"), just 6". Maybe I just missed it.
Curtis

Chris Padilla
02-09-2004, 2:11 PM
The Brilliant won't last as long as the Rubin but it works just great. I don't have experience with the Titan to compare Brilliant to Titan for wood use.

Bob Marino
02-09-2004, 2:16 PM
[Curtis,

Use the Brillaint, which is used for wood, plain, painted or varnished. The Titan is more for automtive type finishes.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-09-2004, 2:20 PM
The Brilliant won't last as long as the Rubin but it works just great. I don't have experience with the Titan to compare Brilliant to Titan for wood use.

Yeah, what Chris said. Haven't tried the Titan myself, as well. BUT, the thing to remember here is: The fastest way to trash any sandpaper is to let it load up. The design of the Festool sanders is such that it optimizes dust removal when used with a vac. If you use it as such, I think the Brilliant will do a...well...., *brilliant* job for you! :rolleyes: The first useage of my ES125 was for finish work and, after a fairly good-sized job, I ended up putting the paper BACK into the package from whence it came! I was indeed using my vac with it. Hope you get it, as you'll be thrilled with the results. Keep us posted. :cool:

celsik
02-09-2004, 4:30 PM
I poked around the Festool site and found the sand paper discriptions. Could have answered my own question. Their discriptions of use, for the different types, could use a little improvement.

I did not see paper for "Wood Hack"

I hate these urges for a new tool--not really!

Thanks
Curtis

Chris Padilla
02-09-2004, 4:37 PM
Fully agree...the descriptioins for the sandpaper do need better explanation. For us WWs, it is Rubin and Brilliant and we shouldn't need much else! :)

I'd also like better explanations of the various sanding pads and polishing accessories.

Brilliant: Paint and Varnish (best at not loading up with chunks of paint/varnish sanding)

Rubin: Best for bare wood/plywood but can work for paint although it WILL load up with chunks of paint so you'll need to dechunk it every few minutes.

Titan: Best for repair compounds and fillers and for autobody paintwork. No clue how it does with wood or painted wood.

Saphir: Simply "heavy duty" for all sorts of materials like wood, steel.

Vlies: Light sanding and preliminary sanding. Not sure what that means....

Platin: Polymer materials...Corian I guess?

This is what I've found.

Halsey MCCombs
02-09-2004, 6:20 PM
Klingspor' has discs for the 125 in the catalog page 30. all the way to 1500 . Hope that helps Halsey

Roger Barga
02-12-2004, 1:38 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my question - you guys are great! I decided to purchase the 150/3 and because of the glowing reviews on the Rotex I put my Fein up for sale on Ebay and will also buy a Rotex. I convinced a buddy to purchase a 150/3, so we will get 10% off this order and save about $100. While I wait for my new sanders to arrive, I'll install a new hook and loop pad and donate my old PC ROS to the local high school woodshop.

Cheers,
Roger

All the best,
Roger

John Miliunas
02-12-2004, 7:48 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for responding to my question - you guys are great! I decided to purchase the 150/3 and because of the glowing reviews on the Rotex I put my Fein up for sale on Ebay and will also buy a Rotex. I convinced a buddy to purchase a 150/3, so we will get 10% off this order and save about $100. While I wait for my new sanders to arrive, I'll install a new hook and loop pad and donate my old PC ROS to the local high school woodshop.

Cheers,
Roger

Good for you, Roger! Let us know how you like them! :cool: