PDA

View Full Version : Buying tools with no handles

Jim Kountz
10-24-2007, 6:09 AM
I was looking at the Doug Thomson tools and was wondering if there are any other companys that sell the tools with no handles? Ive been turning handles like mad the past few days and now I want to fill them with some good tools. Dougs stuff looks really nice though, opinions??

Thanks!

Jim

Bob Hamilton
10-24-2007, 7:22 AM
I have several tools that I purchased unhandled. The first ones were bought at wood shows several years ago and I don't remember the dealer (possibly Jacques Coulombe?) or manufacturers. Lately I have bought P&N tools from Lee Valley unhandled and a few of Doug's tools. I have only had the gouges I bought from Doug for a few weeks but they do seem to work very well. The P&N tools are also quite good, but if I recall correctly the shank diameters are metric so you would need metric bits to bore out the handle.

Good Luck!
Bob

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2007, 7:25 AM
I highly recommend Doug Thompson's gouges, and prefer them over P & N which I have used. I buy and use them daily, they stay sharp. I like turning my own handles.

Bill Blasic
10-24-2007, 7:57 AM
I keep telling Doug Thompson that I haven't had to sharpen one of his tools yet, he asks how he is going to sell me more if I don't wear them out! I have bought other unhandled tools but the Thompson's have become my go to tools and soon will probably be the only ones I use as I keep putting the others away, very good tools at very good prices. Try one as he'll buy it back if your not satified I believe.

Don McIvor
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Like others here I highly recommend Doug's tools. I have one of his U bowl gouges and it has become one of my most frequently used tools. They are terrific.

I prefer to buy tools unhandled--I wish more manufactures (or sellers) offered this as an option. I also wish the price difference between handled and unhandled tools was more than about three bucks!

Don

Cyril Griesbach
10-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I, also, have to recomment Doug's tools. I have 3 of his bowl gouges and I'm slowly getting an Ellsworth grind on the 5/8 V gouge but it'll take a long time because I don't have to go to the grinder any way near as often as I do with the other brands.

Anchor Sarslow
10-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Is Doug a member or have a website for tool viewing/purchase? Send me a link if so please. I am very interested in getting reasonably priced no handle tools.

Ron McKinley
10-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Doug's website is: http://thompsonlathetools.com/

Frank Kobilsek
10-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Jim,
Crafts Supply sells Henery Taylor with or without the handle.

Back to the Thompson tools - I do want to try them. At the Ohio Symposium I almost bought a couple but I really don't need them right now. For Powdered Metal tools his price is very fair.

Frank

Paul Engle
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
After dicovering gouges with the flute all the way thru , I am not intrested in a gouge that is 10 " or so long but the flute is only 6 " , unhandled, why pay for 4" of steel you cannot use?.

Bob Hallowell
10-25-2007, 2:26 PM
Paul,
I plan on buying some of his gouges. I look at it this way I plan to put 2" in the wood handle I make and could never see myself using a 2" bowl gouge so I don't think that is much of an issue.

Bob

Paul Engle
10-25-2007, 3:14 PM
Oh I understand Bob, just reminds me of the HT I have and could not use the last bit on shallow stuff untill I figured a way to get more of it to the grinder and more of it to use right down to the nub . and the new ones with two diff grinds on it now I like very much. II like being able to turn em around if I want to , I like being able to reduce their over hang if I am working shallow, with a handle that only cost me 14.69$ I like to have the chance to choose , not a tool manufacturer. I'm not knocking anyone in particular mind you not you , not any creeker, its like the carbide I have been fooling around with. I'd sooner have that option to control my $ than the manufacturer. And if I can find away to extend, reduce the cost, make more usable , more flexable the tools we all use I want to share it , and if one declines that's fine, no heartburn here.;) But I predict the next new generation of turners will look at what is available and not just what is offered as " accepted practice" and say why can't I use this or that instead of _______ . thats all and I think manufacturers could go a little bit further into the future and not be so stuck on past practices.This forum and others talk about new skills and practices and shapes and mediums and whats art and what craftsmanship,I get all excited about the hobby and what I would like to do etc , you know how it is Bob, you guys and gals here at the Creek are the " MOST".And I throughly enjoy the company.
I think at 58 years of age I am ready to swipe some other industry's tooling and adapt it for my use , because I cannot afford to buy conventional for the most part, and I need to find a way to make every dollar I spend on woodworking do the absolute most for me.

Bob Hallowell
10-25-2007, 4:04 PM
Paul I meant no disrespect, That's why the Lord made apples and oranges everyone likes something different.

I like my tool to be consistant. when I pick up my gouge I want it to feel the same, work the same, have the same grind, be the same legnth ( I know it gets shorter as it's sharpened) basicly the same friend I laid down the day before. I know the angle of attack and it's quirks. Then if I want a different grind or shape I pick up another tool that I know well and hopefully it acts like I think it will.

Bob

Bill Jack
10-26-2007, 1:33 AM
Hi Jim,
Ive been using Doug Thompson tools since early this year and like so many others think they are the best.
They are the ones I pick up more than any others and the edges just seem to hold for ever!
The quality of cut and finish with them is superb and I also enjoyed making handles for them, it gives them that individual look. I now have six and will be getting more Im sure.
You wont be disappointed.
Regards, Bill in UK.

Doug Thompson
10-26-2007, 3:00 AM
Jim, it's hard to add anything to this thread but like it was said before if you don't like them for any reason I'll buy them back. So far, on one bowl gouge the money was refunded then the same person bought 7 or 8 more including the same type as returned. Two gouges were replaced because of grinds, a nose angle of less than 50 degrees doesn't leave enough meat on the wings to hold up. There happy, I'm happy. No other manufacture would do this.

This started out to make my own turning tools so I use the best steel and the heat treatment is more involved than what I say on the site. You won't find a better heat treatment... period.

The best thing is I make them with my own two hands. Some people that come over are in awe over the process just to make one gouge. It's not woodworking but still enjoyable.

OT - I finally started to mill some 3/8 tools!

Dave Smith
10-30-2007, 9:00 AM
I addition to the Thompson and P&N there is a little company(one man) in Washington called Sweazey tools. I have and use all three brands and can recommend them. There are numerous tools available without handles. If a tool and your grind works for you what more can you ask for.

http://www.sweazeytools.com/index.html

Dave Smith

I can only use one turning tool at a time in Longview, WA.

Randy Privett
10-30-2007, 4:05 PM
Guys

You won't find a better bowl gouge on the market today.....

Randy