PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Save!

Scott Rollins
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
I thought that would get some attention. I was using my sawstop table saw yesterday evening when the blade disappeared suddenly while crosscutting some plywood. One second I was crosscutting and the next I hear the sound of two hammers lightly clicking together...and the blade is gone! The only thing sticking up above the table was the riving knife. You can imagine my surprise. I was checking my fingers to make sure there was no blood. I could not understand what happened. I checked the plywood for metal, then I broke it apart to check the cut line...no metal. So I placed the ply back onto the miter gauge and it was obvious what happened. I cut the aluminum on the gauge. The picture does not do it justice, but the cut on the miter is only about 1/32". The second tooth only scraped the paint off! The clear stuff is the UHMW 5mil tape on the bottom. I was using a 80 tooth blade to cut the ply and not one tooth escaped! I was back running about 5 minutes after I took the pics with my spare cartridge and blade.

If you look closely at the second picture you can see the line of saw dust on the table where the ply stopped and my finger marks where I somewhat quickly pulled it all back!

I am not dissapointed in loosing the blade or having to spend $69 on a new cartridge. I am completely impressed. Yeah I saw the hotdog video...but I always wondered does mine work? Is it real? I am telling you it is real. Faster than an eye blink that blade is gone! I never want to test it again, but now I know. And now I have a unique saw clock (with blade firmly dug in!) for my shop!

So back to the title of the thread...the sawstop saved my Jointech smart miter aluminum housing that is a $300 investment saved at the cost of a brake and an old blade.

Mike Heidrick
10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I had never really considered the saving of an expensive miter gauge as a benefit but I am glad it is not damaged and that you are OK. I do know I love my sawstop and hope I do not test mine either.

That is going to be one sweet clock!

Cary Swoveland
10-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I use a Jessem Mast-R-Slide on my Sawstop, and have been worried about doing just what you did. I added a fence stop to reduce the likelihood of that happening, but it is by no means foolproof. I don't know if that would work with your mitre gauge.

The stop has a second function: to avoid the need to recalibrate the scale when I move the fence from its normal 90-degree setting (e.g, to cut a mitre), then return it to its original position.

Cary

Don C Peterson
10-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Ouch! With the brake and blade that's easily $150 down the drain. I guess peace of mind does have a price...

sascha gast
10-24-2007, 3:11 AM
so you strapped a jointech fence to your Incra?:D
glad to know that it works, good for you, well worth the money.
I think we can all agree that we have useless tools laying around the shop that cost us much more than that.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-24-2007, 9:06 AM
Next time you put a blade on that thing make sure it's got no paint on it ( at least in the area of the arbor and washers).

Unless I am mistaken (and I could be), the paint might have prevented the trigger mechanism from engaging simply because paint has some electrical resistance and the voltages in question are supremely small.
In this instance however I believe that the paint was abraded enough that the metal was able to get adequate contact.

Randy Klein
10-24-2007, 9:14 AM
Don't they send you a free brake if you share your 'save' story with them? I thought I read that somewhere...

Scott Rollins
10-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Randy:
I asked about the free brake when I told Sawstop the story, but they quickly stated that it was for finger saves. They can download the data from the cartridge and send a report to the owner. And yes they will give a free cartridge for legit activations or mis-activations.
They decided not to cover brain lapse for some reason.:(
Sacha:
I married the jointech fence to the incra gauge because I really like the jointech fence, but hate the smart miter sled. It is too heavy and the angle changes are not repeatable. It takes 3-4 test cuts to get the angle you want. However the incra is dead on every time. I do not have a incra fence so I cannot compare it tothe jointech. I do have the incra TS-LS and love it though.
Don/Mike:
It will be the most expensive shop clock in history! But it looks cool hanging from the brake. it is hanging over the door to my garage/shop and my wife said, " will the brake stop it from hitting my head if it falls":D ha ha.
Cary:
Your solution will be implemented ASAP!!!
Cliff:
I don't know if the paint affects it...I will call sawstop and find out.

Mark Singer
10-24-2007, 11:38 AM
It is a terrific saw as a saw....and the safety is a very big plus! Even for experienced woodworkers.

Don Bullock
10-24-2007, 6:46 PM
Scott, thanks for sharing your story. I always check to see if I set up my miter guage to avoid that problem, but it still could happen. Enjoy your new clock.;) :D

Denny Rice
10-24-2007, 7:08 PM
My fingers are worth me destroying 10 miter gauges......Anyday. Glad to see you and your fingers are all ok.

Greg Crawford
10-24-2007, 9:47 PM
Sheesh, Sawstop ought to at least give you a free hat or something for the great advertising! Thanks for the story and pics.

Phil Thien
10-24-2007, 10:15 PM
But will it still work w/ the new cart.?

Matthew Dworman
10-25-2007, 8:31 AM
I am not dissapointed in loosing the blade or having to spend $69 on a new cartridge.

Don't toss your blade - carefully remove it from the cartridge and inspect it. We have had 3 brake activations in our shop (no fingers) and have yet to ruin a blade. If you broke a tooth, simply send it out for a sharpening - most quality sharpening services will replace carbide teeth at around $1-$2 each with a sharpening....

Good luck,
Matthew

Scott Rollins
10-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Cliff:
I called sawstop about the coating on the blades...they stated it would not affect the performance of the system. I specifically asked about the CMT and Freud coatings.

Phil:
The saw works perfectly with a new blade and cartridge. I was back up and running about 5 min after I finished the Photo shoot.

Greg:
You're right! A new hat, shirt, or brake cartridge;) would be great!

Matthew:
I'd hate to ruin the most expensive and cool shop clock in history!!!

Yeah I have developed a sense of humor about it now....