PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Openers

Ed Brady
10-23-2007, 11:12 PM
I am one of the lucky ones living near a military base (NORAD) that has implemented 390 MHz mobile communications gear. This interferes with my Overhead Door garage door receiver. It will work if I get close enough and sometimes I have to get out of the car with the transmitter. The mfg solution is to add a converter to use 360 MHz, but that is expensive and entails buying a second transmitter and new keypad as well. Plus I want the system to work with the HomeLink installed in my wife's car. Some other companies use 315 MHz and I could almost replace the whole system for the cost of the "upgrade."

I searched the web hoping that someone had hacked a transmitter and added a power amplifier to boost the signal, but I can't find any solutions -- only many complaints.

Have any of you DIY types worked on this problem?

Go Rockies!

Ed Brady

Jim Becker
10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I do remember reading about this situation awhile back...and got the impression that the military isn't going to be the one to have to change things. Bummer...

Jim Myers
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
This may not work but have you tried switching to a different channel?

Most of the time door openers have multiple channels available so if you and the guy next door have the same model you won't be clashing with each other.

Lee Schierer
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Try a longer antenna. If the signal is still getting through, but you have to be closer than normal, try extending the antenna wire out the door. For a test, just twist on a length of light duty wire and run it out the garage door

Glenn Clabo
10-24-2007, 2:01 PM
Is it a marantec reciever? Then check this out...
http://www.marantecamerica.com/news_article.php?aid=2

Jim Myers
10-24-2007, 2:05 PM
Extending the antenna will not work.

The antenna has to be of a certain length to recieve the signals. Usually it is a 1/4 wavelength of the frequency. Extending some antennas have the opposite effect and actually reduce the distance you can recieve from.

David G Baker
10-24-2007, 5:06 PM
Find the frequency width and make a 1/2 wave or full wave antenna. Worked on CB radio.

Ed Brady
10-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The MARANTEC site was interesting because they are providing free 315 MHz replacement receivers for the original 390 MHz units. Unfortunately our system was made and installed by Overhead Door and they have not been so helpful. They charged for a service call, but they are not providing an updated 315 or 360 MHz circuit board -- free or otherwise. I guess I'll never do business with Overhead (or Genie, their subsidiary) again.

Re moving the antenna. It could be done with coax maintaing the correct wire length. Funny thing is we have two doors and one works on the same freq. That makes me tink repositioning the ant might work.

EDB