PDA

View Full Version : New Epilog Mini 24 -Not Working

Tim Bateson
10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
:DI just received my Epilog mini 24 - used, but with maybe 10 hours on it. Loaded the latest driver from Epilog onto my laptop, connected the USB cable and turned on the Laser.

Now the trouble starts... The arm slams into the from of the unit. Then the Laptop connection fails every time I try to send anything to the Laser. It did seem to work once in a test mode, but I have not been able to repeat that and no burning took place.:mad:

Stephen Beckham
10-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Holy Crap - that would send me through the roof...

I have found that my Mini 24 has safety built in to keep things from going too bad.

What does the system do when turn on without the USB plugged in?

Did you update both Firmware and Software together? Some versions don't talk to each other?

Do you have a rotator? Did you plug it in to see if you get a different response?

What did you send to the laser that caused it to slam into the front? Did you have bottom up selected in the print driver? Did you have an image larger than 24X12?

Sorry to rant - but I'm running through all the questions I can think of...

I ran an image down to 12.5 on there once and it did the same thing - slammed against the front of the machine. Disengaged the axis control and just beeped. When I turned the machine off and back on, all was normal.

Does your's reset after turning it off and back on?

Gosh - good luck - if you think of something - please post it and I'll be looking to try and make suggestions.

Steve

Jim Watkins
10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
I am not sure if you are getting a signal to the laser, but I had problems with the USB connection and getting my jobs to the laser. So I had the connection redone using the CAT5 Networking cable instead and have had no problems since.

You might try the network connection.

Tim Bateson
10-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Update - I got the TCP/IP configured - the head went back and forth in about a 4 inch path with no burning (no laser). Firmware was 1.0.1.9. I started the firmware upgrade to 1.0.2.1 - upgraded fine, got to the Finished - Reboot prompt.

After restarting the laser all I get is: "X/Y Disabled: Y"
I can no longer send any jobs nor do any of the buttons work - even after several restarts. :(

Stephen Beckham
10-24-2007, 8:04 AM
Tim,

Sorry - I couldn't stay up to see your next post last night...

That definately sounds like your laser is the problem, not the laptop sending something incorrectly.

I know the X or Y axis will disable itself versus burning out a motor - especially if it hits something, it binds or otherwise considers danger to the system.

If Tech support can't help you this morning after they open - PM me with you phone and I'll ask the silly questions to see if I can help. No promises...

--- machine plug removed ---

In the mean time - I suggest pulling the panels and checking every wire.

There are ribbon cables, plastic connect and plugs all over the place. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are - but I'd start at the far left or far right and work my way across. Check every wire at a connection point - make sure you don't have loose cable of any sort.
Check for sensor connections and cleanliness. Most sensors are magnetic - check for missing magnets (yea right... how are you going to know if they are missing).
Look to see if anything is reversed (again - how would you know) - if you are not sure - don't change it, but make a note to ask the techies.
Silly one - is the machine level? Shouldn't cause this problem, but I had some awkward responses from mine when I was way off level once.
Did the right firmware version come up on the screen during reboot?
Move the x and y axis to see if there seems to be any binding.Sorry for bombarding you with simple stuff - I'm trying to think of all the things that I've done to troubleshoot mine. Also trying to cover all the things that Tech Support will hit. Good luck - they're pretty good with fixing the problems - you'll have to be ready to tell them all the little things you've tried already...

Jeanette Brewer
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Tim:

In case you don't have the Tech Support contact information, here it is:

303-215-9171 (press 1 for first available)

Email is tech at epiloglaser dot com

Tim Bateson
10-24-2007, 8:25 PM
:D It's Alive! Thanks to those here and a fantastic first rate Epilog support staff.

FYI - the trick - unplug everything from the circuit board, and then re-seat them. As I had already assured these wires were tight, I guess this resets the board. I’m now burning everything in sight and still have no clue what I’m doing! :cool: Yes, I’m a guy so I’ll read the documentation later…. Maybe. :rolleyes:

Stephen Beckham
10-24-2007, 9:33 PM
Happy burning Tim...

Frank Corker
10-25-2007, 5:16 AM
Glad to hear it Tim. Epilog really are the business when it comes to sorting out problems