PDA

View Full Version : Im gettin a maple tree!!

Jim Kountz
10-23-2007, 8:38 PM
Well a customer of mine is clearing out some trees from around the new addition we did for him. One is a maple about 16" at the ground and three nice crotch areas. Hes saving them for me although to be honest Im not really ready to do large bowls and stuff yet. I just dont feel like my skills are there yet. Soooooooo Ive been reading up on some posts here about how to deal with he wood till I get around to it. Would anyone be interested in some maple chunks??

Jim

Jim Kountz
10-23-2007, 8:40 PM
I forgot to add that there is also some kind of large (40' large) arborvitae of some sort. He said it was some kind of mutant since it was not supposed to ever get that big. May be good for turning???

Ill try to get some pics of it and post them when I do.

CW McClellan
10-23-2007, 9:11 PM
As A Feller Once Told Me --jump In And Get Ye Feet Wet
You Might Supprise Yourself

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2007, 10:08 PM
If it is free wood Jim I would take at least a couple of pieces and jump right in. I would get Bill G.'s DVD if you don't have it or Mike Mahoney's From the Tree to the Table. Both will give you what you need to know.

Jim Kountz
10-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Bernie I couldnt find From the Tree to the Table at Amazon, do you have another source for it and the other one from Bill G??

Jason Christenson
10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
IMHO big bowls are easier than small ones.

Jason

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Go for it Jim! It's free wood.

Brett Baldwin
10-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Jim, mistakes are best made on free wood so now is the time to give it a try. I guarantee you will learn something with every piece even if it never makes it to the finishing stage.

Dan Forman
10-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Bernie I couldnt find From the Tree to the Table at Amazon, do you have another source for it and the other one from Bill G??

Here you go:

http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/videos.html

http://www.wonderfulwood.com/dvd.html

Dan

jeremy levine
10-24-2007, 8:11 AM
Your a lucky man, I love maple.