PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw Recommendations

Brodie Brickey
10-23-2007, 6:36 PM
I'd like some advice on scroll Saws. I'm looking for one to handle some inch thick stock. I don't think I'll be using it every day, but I don't want to end up with junk taking up space in the shop.

I have an opportunity to get a Sakura Scroll Saw. It looks like they sell for about $500 new, and it won't cost me that, but are there other brands that can be gotten for less than 250 that are equally recommended used or new?

What features are a must have in a scroll saw?

Thanks,

Brodie

mark page
10-23-2007, 7:14 PM
Well, I don't scroll saw much. But my LOML does, so when I need something like a jig or a template made from the scroll saw, I call her. She has two, a Ryobi and Dewalt. I have no idea what persuades her between the two. But she's darn good at what she does!!!!! Without asking her, I would guess that she likes the Dewalt the best. She not home now or I would inquire.

Stan Smith
10-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I have an RBI Hawk. It is quite an excellent saw as are the Hegner and Excalibur. MY RBI has never given me a problem. From what I've seen, the cheaper the saw, the more the vibration. My advice FWIW--if you are going to do a lot of scroll sawing get a good one with a large throat. If not, get a mid-price one. Just my $0.04.

Barry Anderson
10-24-2007, 12:35 AM
For the money it is impossible to go wrong with the Dewalt. It made by the same company as the Excaliber. Check out some of the scroll saw forums on the internet. You can Google "scrollsaw". Most agree that the Dewalt cannot be beat for the price. There are better but for hundreds more. You can also get the Dewalt refurbed and save even more.

Barry in WV

Jon Lanier
10-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Brodie,

I too, have an RBI (Hawk) and love it. But that is if you are going to really use it a lot! Most of our scroll saw members really like the Dewalt. I would consider that are a really good medium duty saw. I don't know any thing about Sakura saws... I would love to see a picture of one.

Extras to look for: Tilting table, blower, pinless ability and variable speed. I Don't know how many saws have this feature, but being able to change the angle of the blade (cutting aggression) is a very nice feature.

As to cutting 1 inch stock... that can also depend upon the blade you use. I recommend Flying Dutchman. Blades can be debated like anything else though. Blades with low TPI are more agressive while High tpi have a better control. Then you've got reverse blades for clean cuts on the underside of the project.

Check here for multi versions of a blade:

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/whatblad.htm

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Nancy Laird
10-24-2007, 8:37 AM
I have the DeWalt, and it certainly has the power to cut 1" material. The cutting of the 1" material is dependent on the blade you are using. I highly recommend Artisan-brand blades.

Nancy (58 days)

Rick Hutcheson
10-24-2007, 8:39 AM
I have written reviews and video reviews of many of the major saws on my web site. You might take a look at them to give you more of an idea what features to look for. http://www.scrollsaws.com

Larry Conely
10-24-2007, 8:48 AM
I have had an 18 inch Excaliber for many years. I don't use it a lot, but I researched it a lot before I bought it. It has a quality tilting table, variable speed, quick change blade holders and has near-zero vibration. I have been very happy with it. I mounted it on a barber's chair base so it easily raises or lowers for different cutting positions. I also attached a magnifying lamp to aid in those small details.

Larry

Stan Smith
10-24-2007, 5:29 PM
Excellent post, Jon. I was going to add Mike's blades but couldn't remember the url. You will need a tilting table for marquetry.

The magnifying lamp mentioned by Larry is essential for me, the old geezer.

Mike Jones NM
10-24-2007, 8:33 PM
I have a delta that has worked well for me. BUT I saw this one http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=251518-46578-CW40&lpage=none
in the store a couple of days ago and I think it will get added to my need list.

John Thompson
10-24-2007, 10:48 PM
I use a DeWalt 788 I purchased factory re-conditioned for $279 as I have a friend that is a DeWalt rep at the Atlanta service center that got it for me in his name. I am not a dedicated scroller.. but I love that saw.

I will join Jon Lanier with Mike's Workshop and his "Flying Dutchman" blades. As good as it gets as I see it even though my scroll experience is limited compared to miles behind the wheel with regular WW.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Jon Lanier
10-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Excellent post, Jon. I was going to add Mike's blades but couldn't remember the url. You will need a tilting table for marquetry.

The magnifying lamp mentioned by Larry is essential for me, the old geezer.

I'm only 44 and find that I need a magnifying lamp as well. At least for the intricate stuff.

Stan Smith
10-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, those lamps are really worth the $$. I got mine at HF.

Just because I have an RBI doesn't mean that I don't like the DeWalts. If I didn't already have the RBI, I would get the DeWalt for general use. There have been times when I've made lots of toy stuff on the scroll saw and have done lot's of intarsia. Having good equipment for those kinds of projects is priceless.

Stan

Brodie Brickey
10-25-2007, 8:56 PM
Thank you all so much for the information. I'm now seriously leaning in the Dewalt direction, although the Hitachi will receive a look.

Mike's site really helped me identify what my needs are and the important considerations I need to be aware of.

Thanks again.

Cary Swoveland
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Don't overlook used Dewalts. Prior to February 2003 they were made by Sommerville Design in Canada, which still makes the Excaliber. After that date they have been made offshore and Sommerville Design has been out of the picture. I have a low-mileage pre-Feb. 03 unit and like it a lot. I don't use it a lot, but having a scroll saw is very handy.

Cary