PDA

View Full Version : Back from my first artisan fair...what a bust

Bill Wyko
10-23-2007, 4:18 PM
Well, I'm back from my first Artisan fair. The promoter didn't put the adds in the paper he was supposed to. The crowd was thin. The general comment was "Are we open to the public?" My friend Tom makes the furniture you see with my turnings and boxes on. no one spent a penny with either of us. I think we were displayed nicely though.:o :(

mark page
10-23-2007, 4:22 PM
Hey Bill,
Whether or not someone spent money there, I think both you guys have something going for you. It's definately better than I could do at the present time.
Keep it up,
Mark

Jared Cuneo
10-23-2007, 4:39 PM
Wow, looks great!! If you don't mind sharing, what is the finish schedule on those tables?

JC

Brian Weick
10-23-2007, 4:42 PM
Bill,
Very nice display and some fine work! I think what really hurt you guys whas there was no advertising- that promotor did not due his job-thats pathetic. these people, including you, go to all the trouble of setting up and getting ready and that promoter pulls that~ :mad: not your fault.
Nice job Bill, next time , make sure it is properly advertised- really sorry to hear that happened to all of you.
Brian

Jeff Bower
10-23-2007, 4:45 PM
Bill, pairing your turnings with your friends tables looks fantastic! Sorry to hear about the show, but the display looks incredible!

Lori Kleinberg
10-23-2007, 6:08 PM
Hey Bill, you and your friend did some beautiful work. I'm sorry the show didn't work out.
Was that the one up by St Philips Plaza. If so, I only saw a small sign on the corner as I drove by and nothing else about it.
I am sure you will have better luck at an advertised show.

frank shic
10-23-2007, 7:17 PM
bill, a shame that no one bought your tables - they look MAGNIFICENT. what's your finishing regimen?

Bill Wyko
10-23-2007, 7:48 PM
Tom does a pour on epoxy clear coat in a clean room. 8 years ago he saw me doing a woofer box made of rosewood with the coating and said to himself "self....that would look cool on some sandstone" He got layed off at the mine soon after. Now he has been doing this for 8 years and gets 2k and up for some of his work. I'm kind of proud of him. He used to have a drinking problem and was going down hill fast. Then he dumped the ex and picked himself up and really made something of himself. His work is beautiful. We're going to do some bigger events in the near future where the promos' are big and done correctly. He says I will do real well at those events. This one was my first, defenitly not my last.:D

Perry Holbrook
10-23-2007, 8:28 PM
Bill, very nice work by you and Tom. I hope you don't mind but may I make a few suggestions?

Unless you are at a show that you know will have a lot of other high end stuff with a crowd that will be looking for it, you need some lower priced items whose sales will at least pay your expenses. A few years ago a glass bead artist and I were discussing this, she said "you've got to have a coffee mug", referring to the potters who will sell $500 worth of coffee cups at just about every show they do, as well as high end sculpture. That one statement turned my business around.

By displaying your work with Tom's they are competing with each other for attention from the buyer. If you want to share a booth it will be more effective if you can find a way to separate the different products. By combining them you are expecting the customer to be able be creative, most can't do that.

It looks like this show was outside, but be sure to put more lighting in your indoor booth than you think you would ever need. The show professionals will tell you that you are not competing with your neighbors work, but with his lighting.

Please don't take my comments as critical, your work looks great, I'm just trying to pass along some things I had to learn the hard way.

Perry

Tom Cowie
10-23-2007, 8:31 PM
Bill

Tom and you do marvelous work. When you find the clients that appreciate it I'm sure that you will be well paid for your hard earned labor. Don't be discouraged with the fairs, people usually aren't prepared for something quite as magnificent as your work. Keep up the fine work.

Tom

joe Badoe
10-23-2007, 9:28 PM
Have you ever considered the wholesale market to higher end stores ?

When I was doing a lot of woodworking , was wholesale only.

Picked niche market stores in cities with either large university or goverment offices.

Economy was stable and majority of population appreciated handcrafted .

You do very nice work.

Bill Wyko
10-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone. The show was outside but we were under a patio. It was in the 90s so most people came our way to get out of the heat for a while. We had ice water for people too. Tom is kind of a vetran at this and he said this was a really poor turn out so I didn't expect much from this event. I'll be going with him to some bigger events as soon as I can build some more inventory. I plan on making some less expensive pieces to make my fees back at least. None of my pieces were made with selling them in mind. I've only turned 15 pieces since I started this hobby in December. It's a good thing I don't have to do this for a living.:o

Larry Rasmussen
10-24-2007, 7:18 PM
Hi Bill,

I'll pitch in as a guy that's done many of these shows when I was a manufacturing Silversmith for a dozen or so years. I couldn't agree more with Perry above- you have to have a "coffee cup" available for sale and in quantities such that folks feel like they have a choice, whether it's color, size or some other variable. Five to twenty bucks is a good entry level and if you come up with a sweet $30 to $40 item that can ad up rather well.

Question I would have is why are your there? How does it fit into your goals for woodworking? Some use the shows as an entry into a custom business and quit them when established- drop dead serious about establishing a career. Others are just looking for a little money from a hobby they enjoy. It is certainly educational to see what people respond to for type of wood, design and so on, sometimes just the opposite of what you expect. Hopefully you guys can book a few Christmas shows, definitely there is a potential to do more than half your business for the year in the month of December. This year I'd say just put out as much variety as you can design wise and watch and learn.

Best of luck, hopefully we will see a nice posting after the holiday describing your success. The talent is sure there.

Larry R

Bill Wyko
10-24-2007, 7:41 PM
HMMMM good question. I think I do it, for the most part, a little extra money, the challenges of making the pieces and I enjoy the people (here and at the shows). I don't think I'll be making a living out of it any time soon but if it pays better than my other 2 careers I have it will have earned its way to the top. I also own a Car Audio business and I sell Sand Cars from the same location. The woodwork allows me to take my mind off the business world I eat, drink and sleep in. It's very therapeutic and satisfying too. Thanks again for the advice everyone. I'll have to start making some easire stuff so I can have more affordable prices. Anyone have a line on those turned coffee mug kits?:D (seriously)