PDA

View Full Version : SCCA, NASA, etc....

Gary Whitt
10-23-2007, 4:11 PM
Any racers here :confused:

Love road racing and autocrossing.

There are about 10 tracks within a 6 hour drive from here.

Terre Hooks
10-23-2007, 4:28 PM
No.

Move to the Midwest.

Gary Whitt
10-23-2007, 4:40 PM
But nascar has moved there :( :o

John Minnick
10-23-2007, 4:53 PM
I used to live in Rock Hill and practically grew up at Charlotte Motor Speedway. My parents were in SCCA since their early twenties. They worked corners, starter and medical. They put me to work as a runner for Timing & Scoring when I was little. My dad eventually got into Formula Vees and I got to drive it for a couple of years.

I haven't been to a race in about 15 years. I miss spending every other weekend during the summer at the track. There is one track here in Memphis but I think they only run one race a year there. This area is not like the Southeast where there is a track within 3 to 4 hours not matter which direction you drive.

JayStPeter
10-23-2007, 4:55 PM
I don't race competitively, but do participate in SCCA/NASA performance driving events. So far I've only done VIR and Summit Point (main, Shenandoah this weekend with a club), but I plan on venturing to further away tracks in the next couple years. My car is street legal, but is track prepped (brakes, suspension, roll bar/seats/harnesses, street legal race tires). There are a lot of clubs (plus the SCCA/NASA PDX events) which allow you to get non competetive track time without the expense of having a dedicated race car ... if you're interested.
I used to road race motorcycles, so it's been great getting back on the track. Pretty much all I'm thinking about this week is Fri and Sat on a new track. The SCCA runoffs will be on Summit main on Sat/Sun, so I'll probably pop over there for a little spectating if I can.

Jay

Gary Whitt
10-23-2007, 6:02 PM
I've not been to VIR yet.

We have a road course in, of all places, Kershaw, SC; about an hour and 15 minutes away.

A new road course is opening up in Spencer, NC; again, about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Road Atlanta - 3 hours.

Even Bruton Smith (owner of Lowe's Motor Speedway here in Charlotte area) has been talking of a road course IF he moves the race track.

I can't wait for the 2008 season.