PDA

View Full Version : help advise needed

Dave Mapes
10-23-2007, 2:16 PM
Deleted -- I give up

Pam Niedermayer
10-23-2007, 4:38 PM
What are your special needs?

I use and like very much a small set of 2 Cherries bench chisels. If you're talking new Henry Taylors, I've heard their quality is variable, some of them don't keep edges.

However, there's no way that those two brands are the only ones that can satisfy your chiseling needs. Even for something as esoteric as ice carving, there are several other brands, Dastra for example.

Pam

Jim Koepke
10-23-2007, 6:48 PM
Without knowing the special needs, it is next to impossible to make a suggestion.
Also, is this something with a short time line or is there enough time to bid on individual items on eBay and then do the required rehab?

I have bought many fine chisels, and a few dogs, on eBay and will be glad to buy a few more.

Jim

Dave Mapes
10-23-2007, 8:04 PM
I am not asking for suggestions. I only want to know if which of these two brands are the best.

Mike Henderson
10-23-2007, 8:16 PM
The Two Cherries are good chisels. I know you said you didn't want suggestions but the Hirsch chisels (available from Lee Valley) are the same as the Two Cherries (come from the same factory, same assembly line) and are somewhat less expensive.

mike

Pam Niedermayer
10-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I am not asking for suggestions. I only want to know if which of these two brands are the best.

Really, and why should I recommend one or the other as the better when I know that there are probably much better chisels out there? Buy the 2 Cherries. Happy?

Pam

Jim Koepke
10-24-2007, 1:48 PM

Sorry, the question is a little ambiguous, so I will answer both possibilities.
First, as to these being the best available, I would have to say no based upon my limited experience. I have bought one new chisel in the last year or two. It was a disapointment. It may be one of the best made, but it has no where near the finish or quality any of my old Buck Brothers chisels. It is not as well made as all but one of the chisels/gouges I have bought second hand.

Second is one of these better than the other? I have no idea and I am not going to spend money to find out.

Jim

Jason Beam
10-24-2007, 2:17 PM

That depends. Which specific model are you looking at? Are you seriously expecting something productive to come out of a Ford v. Chevy kind of question like that?

I see people here in this thread trying to help. Being short with us doesn't help you at all.

NO brand is better than the other. Every brand is better at something than another brand. "Which is the best brand" questions are always going to get ambiguous answers. Which specific model chisel are you asking about? It's not just the brand that makes it. It's also the model. Some brand's x chisels just plain suck, but their y chisels are amazing.

Help us help you, okay? :)

Kevin French
10-25-2007, 8:21 PM
Dave you aren't giv'n a lot of info here. This is part of the problem I see in WW'n today, just throw money at a problem and it will make me a better ww'r. Not always the right answer.

Here's a link to FWW'n review of Chisels

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2616

The other problem is no one wants to do their own research. Just throw out the question and demand an answer.

Have a nice day.