PDA

View Full Version : laser engraving pictures

Don Necaise
10-23-2007, 1:09 PM
I am a new comer to the laser engraving world and I am looking for some tips on engraving pictures on marble and glass. Can anyone please help? THANKS A Million

Brian Conklin
10-23-2007, 1:15 PM
The best advice I can give is to purchase PhotoGrav software for around $400. It's pretty automatic on processing photos for lasering.

James Stokes
10-23-2007, 1:24 PM
Go back and read all of the old posts in the laser section. Many threads are there on photos.

Kevin Huffman
10-23-2007, 4:11 PM
I would have to concur with both Brian and James.
PhotoGrav makes Photo's easy and there are multiple posts about photo's.
If you have a more specific question, maybe we can help you with that.

Larry Bratton
10-23-2007, 7:46 PM
I am a new comer to the laser engraving world and I am looking for some tips on engraving pictures on marble and glass. Can anyone please help? THANKS A Million
Don:
Right on Photograv for sure. Tip on glass..the cheaper the better, be careful that it doesn't contain metal..i.e. lead crystal etc. Also be sure to clean your optics often with glass, I have found it creates a dust that sticks to your focus lense and will mess you up real quick.

Stephen Beckham
10-23-2007, 7:52 PM
I agree with Photograv - but if you decide to go with it - make sure you get the new version (if it's out yet). Otherwise, you may wind up spending more money to get the newer version very soon...

Steve

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't know what type of laser your using Don, but the Epilog 'clipart' mode, will give a good halftone for use on Marble (marble can be a very high res medium) , but not granite, glass or wood. For Granite, Glass or wood, you will have to either buy photograv or unsharp and manipulate the photo in photopaint or photoshop (if you do a search of the creek, you will come up with a very good explanation of this process previously posted) Glass is a low res medium, and as larry said, the cheaper the better.. I find that coating it with dish soap reduces the glass dust flying around even when the soap dries, I etch literally thousands of pieces of glass every year, and have never had a problem with glass dust..