PDA

View Full Version : Stool / Step Stool

Kevin Baker
10-23-2007, 5:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been asked by a friend to make a step stool that converts to a stool (by flipping the back down/up). Attached are the pics she sent. She isn't local, so I can't borrow her original to make my plans. Does anyone have plans for this or know where I can purchase the plans?

Thanks
Kevin

Ron Fritz
10-23-2007, 6:45 PM
Hello Kevin, I haven't seen one of these stools in a long time. I took a stab at drawing one up in Sketchup using some rough ideas on size and height since I didn't know how big you wanted the stool. The step/seat is 6 1/2" high which is about right for a 2 to 3 year old to sit in. The back was set at a 17 degree angle. Let me know if you have any questions on any of the dimesions or if you have Sketchup I can send you the drawing. Ron

Kevin Baker
10-23-2007, 7:46 PM
Ron -

WOW, very good drawing, I'd love to have the Sketchup file. The friend I'm making it for told me it was her's when she was growing up. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

Ron Fritz
10-24-2007, 9:23 AM
Kevin, Here is the Sketchup drawing in Zip format. I made the step 1/2" higher and made the back support 1" wider. The 1st drawing didn't look just right. I hope you find it useful. Ron

Kevin Baker
10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Ron-

Thanks for the file. It will get me in the right direction. I've asked my friend for measurements, so we'll see how close you were. :)

Thanks again,
Kevin

Ron Fritz
10-24-2007, 6:30 PM
Kevin, I'd be very interested in knowing what the measurements are for the original when you get them. Thanks, Ron

Kevin Baker
10-25-2007, 3:00 PM
Ron -

I'll be sure to post them. I still amazed with how you did this in sketchup. Can't wait til I can use the program at your level.

Kevin

Jim Podsedly
01-19-2008, 6:41 PM
Here is a set of stools i just made for my year old twin nephews.

The wood is from an Oak tree on our parents land.

My folks still have the one the 5 kids used while growing up.

Jim

Tim Byars
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
That's a great project...my brother made one for my daughter last year, a direct copy of one we had as kids. Looks just like the one in Jim's pics.
One small detail that makes a difference, I think...notice that Jim's pics show that the back/step is level in the down position, where the original pics that Kevin posted have it slanted down at an angle. I think it's both more aesthetically pleasing and easier to use for a small child if it's level.

John Dorough
02-10-2008, 6:10 PM
Tim,

I am new to sawmillcreek and have gotten a message several times that says I do not have permission when I simply attempt to view one of the .jpg images shown in this thread. I think I have subscribed to the thread and forum correctly. Am I missing some instructions somewhere?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

John Dorough

Keith Starosta
02-10-2008, 6:37 PM
Tim,

I am new to sawmillcreek and have gotten a message several times that says I do not have permission when I simply attempt to view one of the .jpg images shown in this thread. I think I have subscribed to the thread and forum correctly. Am I missing some instructions somewhere?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

John Dorough

Hi John!! In order to actually open up a file in the Project Plans Forum, you have to be a "2208 Contributor" to Saw Mill Creek, meaning that you have clicked the DONATE button at the top of the page.

The Creek is a great place! Please think about donating.

- Keith

Bruce Page
02-10-2008, 6:39 PM
I think the upper radius of the back support on Ron’s design should be changed a little. I looks like if you stepped on the forward edge of the step you could end up with the base pivoting up and whacking your shins.

John Dorough
02-10-2008, 6:53 PM
Keith,

Thanks for the heads-up. I am going to purchase a few items from the store. I very much appreciate your kind response.

John

Ron Fritz
02-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I have modified the earlier version of the step stool to make the folding back level with the floor when folded down. I also added a center brace which I had overlooked in the initial design but saw that Jim had added one into his piece. I am also attaching a new step stool design that is a little different than the original as some food for thought. Ron

Charles Wilson
02-22-2008, 8:17 PM
Here is a set of stools i just made for my year old twin nephews.

The wood is from an Oak tree on our parents land.

My folks still have the one the 5 kids used while growing up.

Jim

So, where you get the plans from?

Chuck

Ron Fritz
03-31-2008, 6:31 PM
Here's a photo of the folding step stool that I finally got around to make. The Sketchup drawing is posted in the thread above and some of the in-process construction photos are posted on my web-page (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/CSWS-Children-Furniture.htm). Ron

Stojkov Aleksandar
01-17-2009, 4:58 AM
Here's a photo of the folding step stool that I finally got around to make. The Sketchup drawing is posted in the thread above and some of the in-process construction photos are posted on my web-page (http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/CSWS-Children-Furniture.htm). Ron

Ron,
excellent stool, I'm making my self a copy:)
What did you use for joining two steps for sliding, wooden dowel or something else? If dowel is used, what diameter?

BR
Aleksandar

Ron Fritz
01-17-2009, 8:49 AM
I used a short 1/2" dowel on both sides. The placement of the holes for the dowels is critical so that the lower step will flip in & out with out striking the upper step. The Sketchup drawing will give you the details that you need. Ron

Craig T. Smith
01-17-2009, 9:06 AM
Kevin, I just happened to see a plan for a stool like that in the new Sherwood Creations catalog, on page 3 pattern #2303. Their website is www.sherwoodcreationsinc.com (http://www.sherwoodcreationsinc.com). I've used some of their plans and like them. Hope this helps. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Steve Schlumpf
01-17-2009, 9:39 AM
Kevin,

Just wanted to throw a couple of snapshots of what I have made for all my grandkids. In addition to using slats, I also use a dremel and cut their name into the top step. Touched the carving with a little Watco to highlight the name and also used gloss wipe-on poly for a finish. So far all of the step-stools have survived and I have hopes they will go with the grandchild when they start their own families.

I apologize for the quality of the old photos and thanks for reminding me that I have to make 2 more!

107231 107232

Have fun with it!

Craig T. Smith
01-18-2009, 8:51 AM
Kevin, I saw a plan for a stool like that in the new Sherwood Creations catalog. Page 3 #2303. Their web site is www.sherwoodcreationsinc.com (http://www.sherwoodcreationsinc.com) I have been satisfied with their plans in the past. Happy Woodworking, Craig