PDA

View Full Version : How do I save this bowl?

John Shattuck
10-23-2007, 4:12 AM
I'll try to stick a picture in here, but I've got a roughed-out bowl with stability issues. The bottom is towards the bark, the edge includes where the center of the trunk would be if it wasn't rot and beetled away. A fair chunk of what remains is tenuously attached. Is there an appropriate adhesive, gap-filling and shock-resistant? I thought of epoxy, but worried that hitting the chisel so many times a minute would fracture it or something (um, the epoxy, not the chisel).
OK, now to try a picture... Sorry. I'll have to get my wife to tell me how to find that photo, and she (being sensible) is asleep. Still, I think there's enough info here to work with.
Thank you,
John

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 9:45 AM
John.......Epoxy can be just the ticket.

I use epoxy mixed with instant coffee crystals to fill gaps/cracks. If you do a search here on "epoxy cocktail" you find a lot of people mix Denatured Alcolhol with epoxy to make it about the consistancy of milk and put it on punky wood to harden it. Epoxy turns and finishes quite well. It buffs out nicely on the Beal buffing system too.

Good luck with your potential save!