PDA

View Full Version : How to extend cord for 240V TS?

Dave Cohen
10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
How to extend cord for 240V TS? (I think someone may have asked already)

I just couldn't find it with the search function.

Or is it just best to rewire from the motor out with a longer cord? If it can be extended what is the recomended splice or connector to use to join the two cords.

If anyone has a link to an internet supply or the technical/electrical name for the connector that would be helpful..thanks

glenn bradley
10-23-2007, 12:12 AM
How long and what HP on the saw? A 2HP should be OK with 12ga up to 25 feet or so. I used a 20a 250v male and female connectors; NEMA 6-20, for my 2HP BS. Your manual should give the plug and socket nomenclature required by the manufacturer.

Bas Pluim
10-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Don't splice. Electrically, it's not really a problem, but mechanically, it is. You can get something caught on your spliced wire, and accidentally rip it in two. Now you have live wires to step on. That doesn't mean you couldn't splice safely if you really wanted to, but it's cheaper to make a new cord.

So, buy a good 12 or 10 gauge extension cord (depending on HP), snip off the ends, and put a 220V plug on it. The plug has to match your outlet, there are several varieties. Most common are the ones with three blades in a circle and the "dryer" type. Take a picture and bring it to your local home center.

Glenn Madsen
10-23-2007, 1:10 AM
I built an extension cord. Took the manufacturer's pamphlet for the cabinet saw to the local hardware store, and asked the electrical guy I trust to show me what to buy, and how to use it.

It's the disconnect for my saw, now. So it seldom gets left plugged in where someone can easily start the bugger up, without considering what they are doing. It's 10 ga, safety yellow, and hooks up to the wall socket with a twist lock, but the end towards the saw uses the female equivalent of the plug the factory put on the Unisaw when they built it.

If someone's going to trip on this plug, they are really going to have to work at it.:p

Micah Carter
10-23-2007, 2:50 AM
a good electrical supply house will sell you exactly the length of rubber cord you need, and they should be knowledgeable enough to tell you what size you need based on the hp of the motor (or post that info here and I'll tell you). They'll also sell you whatever type plug you need. For the plug body, get Pass & Seymour or Cutler Hammer. Not cheap, but the best. You won't have to buy another the first time you trip over the cord.

Rick Christopherson
10-23-2007, 3:27 AM
... asked the electrical guy I trust to show me what to buy, and how to use it...It's 10 ga....but the end towards the saw uses...the factory.. Unisaw.Just food for thought, but your trusted electrical guy had you buy 10 gauge wire (rated at 30 amps) and install a 15 amp plug on the end of it. That's what a unisaw ships with. Your cord could be well over 200 feet and not need to upsize to #10 wire without a significant voltage drop.

For a 120 volt extension cord, #10 is great and what I would recommend, but at your amperage levels at 240 volts, it was a wee bit beyond what you really needed.

Eddie Darby
10-23-2007, 7:02 AM
I made a trip to Home Depot, and bought the parts to make a 240 V extension cord that gives me just 6 feet more. You don't want to make it any longer than necessary.

Rod Sheridan
10-23-2007, 7:57 AM
Hi Dave, depending upon how long of an extension you need, my preference would probably be to replace the existing saw cord with a longer one.

By the time you buy a short length of cab tire, a cord cap and connector body, you probably have spent more money than you would have to just buy a piece of cab tire and a cord cap.

Not to mention that you have two more connections and a clunky cap/connector body laying on the floor.

Regards, Rod.

Bill White
10-23-2007, 8:01 AM
I just encountered the same need. Bought some 12 ga., 3 wire power cord and a 15 amp plug (male and female). Voila! I have a 240v extension cord. No problems.
Bill

Steven Wilson
10-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Just make an extension cord. I use 10ga or 12ga SJOOW cable that I bought at the Borg and wired plugs and recepticals on it. Keep your machine cords short, and use extension cords for length.

Glenn Madsen
10-23-2007, 11:58 AM
"Just food for thought, but your trusted electrical guy had you buy 10 gauge wire (rated at 30 amps) and install a 15 amp plug on the end of it. That's what a unisaw ships with. Your cord could be well over 200 feet and not need to upsize to #10 wire without a significant voltage drop.

For a 120 volt extension cord, #10 is great and what I would recommend, but at your amperage levels at 240 volts, it was a wee bit beyond what you really needed."

Yes, he did. That's what they had on the roll available, in the soft, flexy wire cable. And since it was only 20', I could afford the tariff. It's a garage, or used to be, before I invested in so many shelves, tools, cabinets, projects, etc...:rolleyes:

Now I can roll my saw out of the way, or make it such that I can rip with more overhang on the left than otherwise is possible. And on huge projects, I can wheel it into the driveway. That's a real chore, though, with expansion joints, etc.

Jim O'Dell
10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
One thing to consider, the price of the proper connectors may be as much as the correct length of line, especially if you're talking twist locks. I just rewired my TS to 220, and bought a 25' 12 guage extension...used about 19' of it. Was still cheaper than just buying 19' of raw cord, and I have half of a short extension cord left. :D Jim.