PDA

View Full Version : As the Lathe Turns (Or Jeff's first..bonker?)

Jeff Yates
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Well as some of y'all know I finally got around to getting my lathe turning, but ran into some tearout issues...

Thankfully Rich was kind enough to swing by and give me a few pointers, and while I'm still nowhere near expert stage...or even really anything more than a complete newbie...

I thought I would share with y'all some progress.

A little backstory, my girlfriend is staying over this week preparing for some minor surgery and doing some sewing to get ready for Halloween and had a friend of hers over, who mentioned her eldest son was going as one of the Harry Potter type wizards for Halloween, and I thought to myself...

Self, every wizard needs a wand and I know some of them there Sawmill Creek boys have made them before...

So I did a little research into what one would look like, and found a piece of stock long enough in the shop, which happened to be purpleheart and started turning...and turning, and turning a little more.

Now Rich figured out I was being a bit aggressive with my turning, and I knew getting anything this thin, especially since all I've made thus far has cracked, shredded or what have you...this would be a test of wills...

Well it's a little rough, but I think it's some good practice...the purpleheart turned brown, as I figured it would...I have no idea how to turn this stuff and NOT have it turn brown...and I brushed on a little BLO to give it some sheen...

It's drying now, but the wizard has his wand...

Sorry for the craptastic photo's, it's on my bar under paper towels...but I think you get the idea...

So, critiques...you ain't gonna hurt my feelings, it's the first thing I've done on the lathe that's going somewhere other than the fire scrap pile

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Uh.....Jeff....It doesn't have enough heft to be a bonker but it makes a nice wand!

Seriously, long thin spindles can be a challenge to turn. That looks pretty good and the only suggestion would be....I'd have turned a round end on the handle end and then cut it away.....In other words....I'd have turned a small ball shape near the end....and then using a parting tool cut the wand away leaving only a little manual sanding where it was parted away.

Very nicely done! The kid will love it!

Jeff Yates
10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Uh.....Jeff....It doesn't have enough heft to be a bonker but it makes a nice wand!

Seriously, long thin spindles can be a challenge to turn. That looks pretty good and the only suggestion would be....I'd have turned a round end on the handle end and then cut it away.....In other words....I'd have turned a small ball shape near the end....and then using a parting tool cut the wand away leaving only a little manual sanding where it was parted away.

Very nicely done! The kid will love it!

Thanks Ken...I will have to remember to try the ball end trick next time...

Challenging is right...the purpleheart kept jumping, no matter how little of a bite I took, so while my tools are sharper than before...I still have some room to improve...

This weekend I went and picked up a 60 and 80 grit wheel for my old B&D 6" grinder and will be putting those on and looking into something like the Wolverine ONeway Jig system...but haven't decided yet...

One things for sure...I'm gonna need more wood

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:47 PM
After you start turning the one thing you'll find is getting free wood can be easy and spurratic. I've have a mess of maple burl in my driveway and a complete truck load in my F-350 and it's splitting because I didn't have time or the capability of turning all of it when I got it and it's sealed.

Joel Sauder, another Creeker, came by some weeks ago with a friend and wanted to drop off a truck load. I asked them "Where do I put it?" and sent them off with some maple burl.

Check around with some local tree cutting services and with the local land fill /dump. Often they'll let you take wood for free and the tree services often have to pay to dump it.

On long spindles you often have to use a spindle steady. You find the middle and turn it to finished diameter and install your spindle steady there and then turn the rest of the spindle.

You did a fine job Jeff!

Neal Addy
10-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Jeff... you turned a thin wand out of PURPLEHEART????????? :eek:

You should be extra proud of yourself. This is great!!!

Purpleheart is one of my nemesis woods. Notoriously brittle and tears out easily. Not the easiest wood to work with.

I can't wait to see how you do on a wood that behaves itself!

Jeff Yates
10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
After you start turning the one thing you'll find is getting free wood can be easy and spurratic. I've have a mess of maple burl in my driveway and a complete truck load in my F-350 and it's splitting because I didn't have time or the capability of turning all of it when I got it and it's sealed.

Joel Sauder, another Creeker, came by some weeks ago with a friend and wanted to drop off a truck load. I asked them "Where do I put it?" and sent them off with some maple burl.

Check around with some local tree cutting services and with the local land fill /dump. Often they'll let you take wood for free and the tree services often have to pay to dump it.

On long spindles you often have to use a spindle steady. You find the middle and turn it to finished diameter and install your spindle steady there and then turn the rest of the spindle.

You did a fine job Jeff!

Well if you are trying to get rid of some maple burn...give me your paypal address and let me know how much to send ya...*grin*

Really though...thanks...It was one helluva learning experience...*laugh*, I'm avoiding the 'Call into work sick tommorrow' idea the little devil on my right shoulder is whispering into my ear...

So I'm off to bed...thanks for the feedback Ken

Rich Souchek
10-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Congrats Jeff, you're a coming along.
Sharp tools and technique, not force.
The wand looks pretty good, especially for a first one anything.
Not sure who will enjoy it more, the youngster or you turning it.
Ken and Neal were right, it is hard to turn a slender long object like a wand, and purple heart can be down right MEAN at times.
Lots of times after something like your wand, I look at it in a day, figure out what could be better, and try several more.
Guess I'm challenging you to some more wands?
Rich S.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Jeff....I'd happily send some to you for the price of shipping but.....this stuff was cut this spring after the sap was running. Burl, I've been told, keeps well. Even though we sealed this stuff, it's cracked so bad I would not send it to you because it would be dangerous to turn. I think there are 2 pieces that might be salvageable and they are destined to be turned and returned as finished products to the guy who gave me the wood. The rest will be split and returned to him and some will go to my oldest son both of whom heat their shops with wood stoves.

Jeff Yates
10-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Thank you to everyone for your kind words...

Rich, I thank you especially for taking time to drive over to my place and give me some hints...for those of you who don't know, he came oer and showed me which end was supposed to go where with the tools and gave me some tips and tricks..

Ken I was just ribbin ya about the maple burl...I don't think I'ld want to try and turn a wood that pretty without a little more time under my belt anyhow...*laugh*...

Guess it's time to take out Leroy T BUTT (stands for Big Ugly Tan Truck) and start hunting for downled trees and logs. And with that, might lead me to purchase something larger than my little bitty Craftsman Band Saw...

Oh man...mo money...*sigh*

LOL, ah well, it's only money...I'll make more

And Rich, on the wand challenge, I'll see what I can do...

Brett Baldwin
10-24-2007, 12:52 AM
They may look simple but the long thin spindles are really not that easy. You did good. BTW, purpleheart always turns brown when fresh cut. It will start to get its purple color back in a week or so with exposure to the air. Keep at it.