PDA

View Full Version : The Hangin' -- And...Another Thrilling Episode of "I'm An Idiot"

Jim Becker
02-07-2004, 9:20 PM
With the generous help of Fred Voorhees, the new Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone got hung today...after we watched Norm build a very nice Shaker library bookcase.

This machine is a substantial unit and installing it really requires two people to hold the components and "fasten the fasteners". Due to it's 105" height with the 55 gallon drum, I choose it's position carefully in the new "sound-deadening" closet so that the motor could project up between two ceiling joists. Assembly is relatively easy with the extra hands and muscles on hand. I really like the new powder coat paint that they are using for "the looks", but even if it was bare metal, it would still be mechanically attractive with its heavy 14 guage steel construction.

The 39" long external filter has a nice design, is very sturdy and is easy to clean. There is no question in my mind that filtration will be great. The 7" inlet moves a lot of air, too...while testing to see if the system works as well as checking the noise reduction of the closet (substantial), I nearly hurt myself when I stuck my hand in front of the main duct coming out of the closet. There was so much air moving that my hand literally slapped into the end of the duct. Fortunately, the edge wasn't sharp.

Because of the mounting height, I needed to install the electrical cord to the motor prior to the hangin'...which brings us to..

Another thrilling episode of "I'm An Idiot"

You see, I'm one of those folks who actually reads the manual and uses it during installation. The problem is, when I was reading the table for wiring up the motor, I paid too much attention to the connections and not enough attention to the notation at the top of the column...and wired it for 120v rather than 240v. Umm...that doesn't really work very well, especially on a 240v circuit. Further, it took a bit of pondering to figure it out and then have those thoughts of supreme sell-deprecation come flowing through. Sheesh! Rectifying the situation required removing the filter and main duct so I could spin the whole thing around 180º to be able to get to the junction box on the motor while standing on the top of a ladder with my head between the joists along side the motor. Folks, I don't recommend you make this kind of mistake! It would have been horrible if I had to completely disassemble things to fix this, too.

Pictures of the Hangin'

1) The motor is hung. You can see the new backward vane cast impeller in this shot. That thing is so well balanced that it will spin for minutes after just a twirl of the hand. Due to the orientation of the impeller unit and the filter outlet, I had to drill two new holes to bolt it to the struts.

2) The cyclone body and vortex tube is added using a contoured band clamp. Sealer is used to insure no leaks after things are tightened up. Because the impeller/outlet and body/inlet are independent, it's very easy to position both to the direction you need them to be.

3) The cone is added and clamped with another band clamp.

4) The filter support is added by using four bolts through the square flange. There is a nice gasket to insure this connection seals well. The external filter support also includes an integral "silencer" which reduces the noise level of the machine a bit. This is a nice feature if the machine needs to live "in" your shop, rather than in a closet. But even in the closet, it helps to further reduce noise transmission.

5) Ready to go! All I have to do is complete all the new and changed duct work and I'm back in business with dust collection. And that closet really does work at reducing the sound "really well". The roar is gone.

2)

Dave Avery
02-07-2004, 9:26 PM
Dohhhhhh! :)

Nice looking set-up, Jim

Robert Waddell
02-07-2004, 9:46 PM
Jim "the toolman" Becker strikes again with his hung-up, suck-up. I wonder what will be next? Let's see, he has a new, aircraft carrier, lathe, bandsaw, & air compressor. A couple more table saws maybe! I'm starting to think he doesn't do any WWing. He's too busy buying and installing tools. At least he has good taste in tools. LOL
Congrats Jim

Lars Thomas
02-07-2004, 9:49 PM
Nice install.

You see, there's proof that reading the directions can be of no help.

Terry Hatfield
02-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Jim,

Super nice!!!! It sure is a closet full. I bet it will do a fantastic job.

"I nearly hurt myself when I stuck my hand in front of the main duct coming out of the closet. There was so much air moving that my hand literally slapped into the end of the duct. Fortunately, the edge wasn't sharp."

I had a not so innocent bystander do the same thing with my system. I unplugged the Performax drop for him to "feel" the power. He nearly wet his pants when his arm went in the duct. BIG cyclones are not something to be messed with. That much moving air can be a bit dangerous.

Now, get it done and get back to woodworking. You have used up all your new tool credits. :D

Congrats,

Terry

John Miliunas
02-07-2004, 10:10 PM
"Uh Huston...We're ready for lift-off!" Sweet setup, Jim! :cool:

Rob Littleton
02-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Some peoples kids...............

Nice setup Jim........

Donnie Raines
02-07-2004, 10:22 PM
So why such a big system?......let the dust simply fall on the ground and sweeping up got old huh?? Looks good man...pretty color too! ;)

DonnieR

Robert Ducharme
02-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Jim,

If you remember my spinny thing (red color) you might consider getting one of them - I see you don't have that tool. I actually got it for when my Oneida system comes in. I plan on mounting my 55 gallon drum on it so I can easily unhook the drum and roll it out to where I want to get rid of the saw dust. Hopefully that will save me some back aches.

By the way, mine should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Chris Pasko
02-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Very sweet Jim, I cant wait to get mine now! They are 31/2 weeks out, was there a dealy on yours?

-Chris

Dale Thompson
02-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Jim,
NICE, CLEAN INSTALLATION! It looks really great and functional!!

I'm glad to hear that you read instructions. Many of us don't. The reason is that the first 10 pages are full of. "CAUTION!!, WARNING!!, ATTENTION!!, EXTREME CAUTION!!!, etc. By the time I get through that stuff, I am tired of reading and just go on with the installation of whatever I am setting up. Forget about the instructions!! With all due respect for you Lawyers out there, "Get out of my shop and let me read the instructions for my new tool". That's safety in my simple mind. Can I sue YOU if I lose a finger because I installed a flange backwards simply because I got SICK of your SAFETY warnings??? :confused:

Sorry for the rant, Jim, but I just get tired of all those warnings!! On the positive side, it looks like your dust problems are over. That is a GOOD thing!! CONGRATS!! :)

Dale T.

Tyler Howell
02-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Far Out Dude! It really sucks!;)

Jim Becker
02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
If you remember my spinny thing (red color) you might consider getting one of them - I see you don't have that tool. I actually got it for when my Oneida system comes in. I plan on mounting my 55 gallon drum on it so I can easily unhook the drum and roll it out to where I want to get rid of the saw dust. Hopefully that will save me some back aches.

By the way, mine should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Yes, Rich mentioned he had spoken to you. Congrats on the new cyclone...you'll enjoy having it in your shop. The drum dolly was a good idea...I might have to emulate you on that one of these days!

Very sweet Jim, I cant wait to get mine now! They are 31/2 weeks out, was there a dealy on yours?

Like I mentioned to you (and I'll spill the beans to the rest here...call quick), they have two 3hp units available in the "special area" for a "really good price". If you can handle about 112" of height with the larger drum, one of these puppies could be a major bargain. These are not in the white powder coat, but they will move a whole lot of air. Really, they would be a good gloat for whomever scarfs them up!

Now, get it done and get back to woodworking. You have used up all your new tool credits.

Yea, yea, yea...timing is everything. I had the opportunity and means to "strike", so I did. But, yes, I have projects backed up and have to get to them so insure that you don't think I'm a senseless manic who just "buys" tools rather than use them. After I help Fred install his cyclone, of course...

Chris Pasko
02-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Dag, you know Jim, I forgot all about you mentioning that to me =). I have been so worried about getting the shop setup and the diagram to Rich I forgot to mention that to him. I will drop him a line on monday!

Thanks.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-08-2004, 3:56 PM
Wait till his wife finds out that she can have him pipe it to use as a whole house vacuum by just hooking a duct up to an open window from the outside.
He-he!
:rolleyes:
Daniel
Say, you didn't wire it backwards - did yah!
Ours at the school didn't work too well - kinda sluggish until we figured it out. Backwards don't suck!
But don't you guys get fooled - backwards does suck somewhat - but not well.

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 7:34 PM
Wait till his wife finds out that she can have him pipe it to use as a whole house vacuum by just hooking a duct up to an open window from the outside.

LOL!! Would look a little funny with about 50 feet of duct suspended between the shop building and the house! Besides, we have a Room-Ba robotic floor sweeper for the house. (And no carpets...anywhere)
-------

As a followup, the system is fully installed as of 7pm tonight (except for the second floor sweep at the lathe end of the shop). Unbelievable. And I'm also happy to report that the closet design really makes the machine, itself, almost unnoticeable when running...other than the huge quantities of air rushing into whatever port is open. Excellent system.

Ed Weiser
02-08-2004, 8:21 PM
Jim:
I notice a solid door on the closet where the cyclone is located. Did you provide a dedicated outflow for the air from the closet or does it just escape through the "cracks"? Would any possibility of back pressure degrade the cyclone's performance? Not that I have any experience with this setup but just wondering...This type of closet for a cyclone is precisely what I'm building for my shop right now. I'm just at the framing stage but thinking ahead.
Thanks.

Ed

Dennis Peacock
02-08-2004, 8:27 PM
Very, VERY nice Jim...I am proud for you and your cyclone setup. you will really REALLY like the cyclone DC setup. I makes a LOT of difference especially when you have everything ducted up. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
02-08-2004, 9:27 PM
Almost too nice looking to hide in a closet huh Jim? I know your ears will thank you though. Sounds like if you reversed the flow you could use it for a wind tunnel!!

Great setup. On my list this year is a 'first timer' DC system...nothing as nice as yours, but I have to do something...I'm tired of sweeping and using the yard blower!!!:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 9:31 PM
I notice a solid door on the closet where the cyclone is located. Did you provide a dedicated outflow for the air from the closet or does it just escape through the "cracks"? Would any possibility of back pressure degrade the cyclone's performance?

The door is a basic Stanley exterior insulated pre-hung steel door installed "backwards", with the "outside" on the "inside" of the closet. You can see it in the picture below. This air return is 36" long and doubles back about 24" to the vent. That technique lets more than enough air flow get back to the shop, but reduces direct transmission of noise. I can always change it to a large, insulated duct later if I feel that will further reduce noise levels, but I doubt I'll need to do that.

And yes, backpressure would significantly degrade DC performance.

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 9:33 PM
Veryyou will really REALLY like the cyclone DC setup. I makes a LOT of difference especially when you have everything ducted up

This be my second cyclone system. I've been running an Oneida 1.5hp unit for about four years now. That unit has moved to Ringos NJ to service Fred's shop...his first DC.

mike malone
02-08-2004, 10:30 PM
With the generous help of Fred Voorhees, the new Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone got hung today...
2)

Nice lookin' unit Jim....excellent reason for a major gloat!!!
I guess this means you are into WW for the long haul, eh?
regards
mike

Mike Kelly
02-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Jim, the filter on your new sucker looks smaller than the pictures on Oneida's website. It looks the same size as the one on my 1 1/2 H.P. ???

Jim Becker
02-09-2004, 6:49 PM
Jim, the filter on your new sucker looks smaller than the pictures on Oneida's website. It looks the same size as the one on my 1 1/2 H.P. ???

The filter is 39" tall. (The other option is something like 63"...which costs a whole lot more) The 2hp filter is larger in diameter than the 1.5hp filter according to the specs on their site. I don't know if the 2hp commercial filter is larger still...the spec isn't on the site and the paperwork I have is at home.