PDA

View Full Version : Caution, heavy gloating ahead & a bribe for that guy with a Mustard trapped in a box!

Joel Sauder
10-22-2007, 9:42 PM
On my way to work a saw a lonely stump looking for a new home. I left a note for the woodcutter saying I would like to adopt it and was willing to trade a couple of bowls for it. He said he wanted money. 10 bucks later I had this block of hard maple and its bigger sister loaded in the back of my truck. Who says there are no good deals left?

And in an effort of aleviate the inhumane conditions a brand new Mustard is being subjected to (keep in a cardboard box and still on the pallet for almost a month now!). I am publicly offering the best cut of that stump to Ken if he can get the painting, lights, and lathe set up in his new shop by the end of November.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Joel......Joel.......Joel..........You sorry rascal you!

Believe me my friend, I hope to be finished well before the end of November. If not.....Thanksgiving Weekend...You are welcome to come over and help!:D

Nancy Laird
10-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I think the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Nancy (60 days)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I think the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Nancy (60 days)

I'd say it's been slapped around my face!:o

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:15 PM
That's a beautiful piece of wood Joel!

I was just out there cleaning. By bedtime tonight I hope to be in a position to start caulking and a little wet sponging on the mud on the ceiling and let the paint start to fly later this week on the east half.

Brett Baldwin
10-22-2007, 10:27 PM
As if the tools themselves weren't enough incentive....

Did anyone else see that curl?:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Joel told me about that curl yesterday when he stopped by. It was the first time he'd walked into my shop since I began cleaning up, painting and installing the lighting. He could believe he didn't have to walk on 6" of shavings anymore. He mentioned something about not having to wear Vibram soles when he comes to visit now....:D

George Guadiane
10-23-2007, 7:27 AM
:eek:I'll clean MY shop for that piece of wood!:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2007, 9:45 AM
Joel you might as well send it to me. My shop is clean and is finished so it would be no problem. :D ;)

Which November are you talking about Fitz 2007 or 2008.:confused: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 9:46 AM
Joel you might as well send it to me. My shop is clean and is finished so it would be no problem. :D ;)

Which November are you talking about Fitz 2007 or 2008.:confused: ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Hey...........Bernie...........Shhhhhhhhhhh!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Nancy Laird
10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I saw it Brett, and I'm incredibly jealous!

Nancy (59 days)

Bob Hallowell
10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Joel WoW! you did quite well for $10 that's awesome!

Bob

David Epperson
10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Be sure and let your woodcutter see one of the bowls he passed on. :D I think he might understand just how much he cheated himself. :D

Frank Kobilsek
10-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Joel

Get your butt over to Ken's place a give him a hand which will likily result in ...

future chances to turn on that big Yellow machine

Free lessons

A chance to borrow a tool from time to time so you can try something before you spend money on it

free wood

a good turning buddy...

I suspect you'll get all of that anyway from Ken but if you help you'll feel better about asking if you have contributed to the cause.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Uhhh, my garage can be cleaned by this weekend, and new lights put up by the week after. Send me the wood!!!! That is some CRAZZZY curl going on in there!!! NICE SCORE

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Joel

Get your butt over to Ken's place a give him a hand which will likily result in ...

future chances to turn on that big Yellow machine

Free lessons

A chance to borrow a tool from time to time so you can try something before you spend money on it

free wood

a good turning buddy...

I suspect you'll get all of that anyway from Ken but if you help you'll feel better about asking if you have contributed to the cause.

Frank

Frank,

1. He's already volunteered to help but I'm just rednecked enough I want to do it myself....all by myself.....except for putting up the 8' lighting fixtures.

2. He will probably get a call when it comes time to get the b/s and the lathe off the pallets.

3. He's already borrowed tools, videos etc whether he helps or not.....

4. I'm the guy who gave him his first lesson, helped him turn his first b/s. He took it home and his wife allowed him to buy a new lathe a few weeks later.

5. He's already got some free wood and offered me some free wood.

He's already a turning buddy!

Joel Sauder
10-23-2007, 3:44 PM
Ken knows that all he has to do is call and I will come help whenever he needs it. But if he strings it out till Thanksgiving, he might be in trouble, I have an elk hunt scheduled that week.

Glenn Hodges
10-23-2007, 6:04 PM
Joel, take one of the finished bowls to show the guy. Make sure you put a $300 price tag on the bottom of it. Try to get a picture of him when he sees what he missed, and post it here. I give people a bowl when they give me a tree, the bowl is worth much more than if the person sold the tree.

Jim Becker
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh my...very nice hunk-a!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2007, 1:38 PM
Ken knows that all he has to do is call and I will come help whenever he needs it. But if he strings it out till Thanksgiving, he might be in trouble, I have an elk hunt scheduled that week.

Sheesh!............You'd go elk hunting instead of helping a turning buddy set a new bandsaw and lathe?

I would to given the opportunity!:D

Pete Jordan
10-24-2007, 2:11 PM
Are we sure there are not rocks in those boxes? Has anyone looked inside?