PDA

View Full Version : Finish looks like mold

Jim Tobias
02-07-2004, 9:04 PM
I don't know what I did wrong, but today I sprayed a coat of Deft on some wooden letters and several hours later, I sprayed a coat of Minwax semi-gloss poly on them. Seemed fine, until it dried. I checked it out an hour ago and the finish looks like it has white mold on it. Is poly over Deft a no-no? I could have sworn that I have used it in that sequence before. Any ideas?

Thanks

Donnie Raines
02-07-2004, 9:07 PM
What tempertaure are you spyaing in? Out of curioisty, why are you top coating lacquer with poly?

DonnieR

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-07-2004, 9:15 PM
Is the Deft blushing maybe?

Jim Tobias
02-07-2004, 11:55 PM
What tempertaure are you spyaing in? Out of curioisty, why are you top coating lacquer with poly?

DonnieR

It was fairly cool - 45 -50. I was trying to use the deft as a seal coat so I could get it finished today.

Donnie Raines
02-08-2004, 12:03 AM
It was fairly cool - 45 -50. I was trying to use the deft as a seal coat so I could get it finished today.
I should have also ask these questions....was it the lacquer coat that turned white?....or was it the the poly?.....and is the poly water base by chance?

The temperture is the likly culprit....if the surface of the lumber is to cool, rather then the "additives" evaporting out, they complie and rise to the surface...giving an opach look to the finish. My guess is that the pol is what turned white.....in fact(..I know this is my personal opinion) but I would scuff sand the poly off(wont take much) and then shoot three or four coats of lacquer.

DonnieR

Jim Tobias
02-08-2004, 9:09 AM
I should have also ask these questions....was it the lacquer coat that turned white?....or was it the the poly?.....and is the poly water base by chance?

The temperture is the likly culprit....if the surface of the lumber is to cool, rather then the "additives" evaporting out, they complie and rise to the surface...giving an opach look to the finish. My guess is that the pol is what turned white.....in fact(..I know this is my personal opinion) but I would scuff sand the poly off(wont take much) and then shoot three or four coats of lacquer.

DonnieR

It was the poly that turned white. I will try the sanding routine. I know there is no simple solution at this point, but thanks for the help as it may prevent the same thing from happening again.