PDA

View Full Version : Rotary attachment

Dave West
10-22-2007, 3:22 PM
I tried my Epilog rotary attachment for the first time today. The glass I stole from the cabinet was almost too big with a mouth 3.5 inches across. The laser table was all the way down. Has anyone ever had a glass or bottle too big to engrave?

Thanks,

Dave

Stephen Beckham
10-22-2007, 8:41 PM
YES - I had a customer that brought in two big vases - the biggest problem was length at first - they were so long that I could not extend the back end of the rotary to keep center of gravity.

After I disassembled the rotary to remove the wheels and place them out at the end of the tray I was so excited... I took the vase off, turned on the machine and lowered it to the bottom. After putting the vase back on, it stuck up about 3/8" to high... The lady tipped me for trying, but walked out with them unetched...

Moral - check height and width before taking machine parts off to make something fit...

Paul Proffitt
10-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I cheated the specs on the rotary attachment for my Epilog Legend 24TT by making an adapter from PVC pipe. One short three inch piece nested inside an even shorter four inch piece. The three inch part ran on the normal drive wheels and the four inch piece held the base of a glass carafe. This dropped the effective center of the piece so that it would fit in the laser.

Gregg Vaughn
10-23-2007, 4:45 PM
Too big has not been an issue yet, but odd shaped has. I'm still trying to figure how to place a martini glass to engrave.

Stephen Beckham
10-23-2007, 7:41 PM
Gregg - real men drink from the bottle :D

Seriously, not really sure - don't have one to play with on my rotator. I really doubt you could get it totally level, but jacking the bottom up on the lift should give you something close - then hope for focal length to cover for the angle.

The biggest problem would then be 'ramp-down' time. If you've got speed too high, the head will hit the bottom of the glass before it switches directions again. You might even have to rig up a way to jack up the third point of contact to give you a bit more angle...

Good luck...

Jeff Lehman
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Blocking one end of the rotary attachment to basically make the side of the glass on a perpendicular plane to the laser head (if that makes sense).