PDA

View Full Version : table saw performance

Bill Falkenbach
02-07-2004, 8:31 PM
I just bought a Powermatic 66 table saw. After getting it hooked up and setup, I'm somewhat disappointed with the way it cuts. On either a 90 deg. crosscut or a rip, I'm getting saw score marks. I've measured the runout at full blade height and its .002-.003". Tried different feed rates, blade heights. The blade is true 90 deg to the table. (Used a machinist's square to setup the 90 deg stop position).
I have a brand new Frued Diablo 60 tooth carbide blade. I've tried a couple different blades with the same result. Then I took blades that were in the P66 and swapped them into a $99 Ryobi miter saw and the cuts come out perfect.
When I start the P66, there is a bit of vibration but I think that's normal on startup. After its turned off, and its winding down, you can see the blade vibrate slightly. Again, I think this is normal when its coming to rest. What I have done is feed a piece of 1 x 4 halfway through the blade and held it there and I can hear the blade rubbing on and off slightly against kerf.
My question is, am I expecting too perfect a cut?
Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Ken Garlock
02-07-2004, 9:08 PM
Hi Bill. No you are not expecting too much from what I have heard from PM-66 owners. First thing I would do is to make absolutely sure the saw blade is parallel to the miter slot. Second I would be sure the fence is absolutely parallel to the blade(and miter slot.) I would guess that somewhere in the your owners manual is a procedure for calibrating these three items to each other.

If it were mine, that is where I would start....

Todd Burch
02-07-2004, 9:15 PM
Bill, I have a PM66 that I bought in Dec. 1997.

Actually, I bought two PM66's in Dec 1997. The first one got returned for a defective arbor. Here's the shortened story.

I bought it locally. They assembled and delivered it. $2600. They put it in the garage and left. I turned it on and immediately saw the blade wobbling - ever so slightly. I figured the brand new blade was warped. I installed a known good one. Same thing. I took the blade off and inspected the washer. It had a nick on it. I filed it off. No help. I inspected the arbor. It had a bigger nick in it that would have caused the blade to not seat perfectly. I turned the saw on, without the blade, washer or nut, and filed the arbor flat (filed the nick out). It still had its wobble. I called the local dealer and they came and got it. They checked it for runout - @ the arbor it was .035", whereas .030" was within factory specs. They refunded my money, and I bought my second one off the internet and saved $500. This one is perfect.

Todd.

David LaRue
02-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Bill,

You might want to check a couple of things: (UNPLUG THE SAW FIRST) :D

1. On the arbor is a allen head set screw that holds the bearing and shaft in the arbor. That might be a bit loose. Take the blade off to check it. If it is, it may cause the bearing to wobble in the arbor under load.

2. Check for burrs on the arbor, shaft and the large washer.

3. Double check the set screw for the pulleys onthe motor and arbor. They too can rock under load. However, they usually make the saw sound alike a box of rocks!

Best of luck

Dave