PDA

View Full Version : Son's first solo yesterday

Mitchell Andrus
10-22-2007, 1:54 PM
Ta-Da!!!

My 16 yo son (you'll remember a thread from about 3 months ago) flew his first solo yesterday. He'd been delayed about a month for weather, busy airport, weather, scheduling, weather, sunset... ugh!

I was at the plane as he did the pre-flight. He looked at me and said he can't fly. My heart sank thinking maybe a pep-talk was in order. Wrong. He winked and explained that while he wouldn't run out of fuel, he's not allowed to fly solos with less than half a tank at take-off.

Smooth as silk all the way. We listened on the radio - he's going to be a great flyer.

We ran really short of time to celebrate, so we'll cut his shirt next time we're at the school. Any pilots know how this tradition got started?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 1:58 PM
Congrats Mitch! Give your son my congrats and a word of advice from me......

I worked air traffic control in the Navy during the height of the Pilot Pipeline in the early 1970s. I saw a lot of accidents........

An old saying...........There are a lot of old pilots.........there are a lot of bold pilots.......there aren't any old bold pilots.........

Again.....Congrats!

Dan Barr
10-22-2007, 2:07 PM
Several traditions have developed around "soloing", including drenching the student with water and cutting off and permanently displaying the back of his shirt. However, soaking a pilot who has already soloed is breaking tradition and is subject to its due consequences[original research? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research)]
In aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student. In the days of tandem trainers, the instructor would tug at the students shirt tail whenever he was getting himself into trouble. After the first solo, the new pilot is competent in the air does not need such a safety device.

I got this off of wikipedia.

V/R

Dan :)

Mitchell Andrus
10-22-2007, 2:08 PM
Ken, his vice principal is a pilot - in the rabbid-about-it way - owns his own C-182... Mentor of sorts. He has that 'Bold...' saying framed on his wall.

You've seen One-Six Right? Sweet documentary.

We played hooky and went to Hartford for the AOPA show. We had a BLAST!!!

Mitchell Andrus
10-22-2007, 2:10 PM
Thanks Dan. I knew it dated to the 'old' days...

Jim Becker
10-22-2007, 4:49 PM
Congrats to you and your son on a memorable day!

Dennis Peacock
10-22-2007, 7:04 PM
Congrats to you BOTH Mitchell.!!!!!!
I'm envious of your son as I LOVE to fly and wish I could do that. Give him a big pat on the back and congratulate him on his accomplishments.