PDA

View Full Version : One of those priceless special moments to remember

mark page
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
I work as a salesman at a large home furnishings center. I all of a sudden hear this little low volume high pitched voice call out "Hey Mister". I turn around and eyes have to scan downwards. Heres this little tyke that barely clears my kneecaps by a couple inches. No adult immediately close by. First thing that goes through my mind is a "CODE ADAM" for a lost child. Eyes scan the area and then I saw dad about 12-15 feet away and he nodded. I wink at dad and now, ok, I can calm down a bit. I got down on knees and probably still twice the height of this lad. I asked him how I could help him. He commences to tell me he wants to buy a table. He says he can't buy it now but will have to wait till next week when he has the money. I say ok, show me which table it is. His reply was "It's the one over there that PEOPLE ARE SITTING AT!!!!!". A little tile topped table that I figure he's going to use for kindergarten projects, drawing, water colors, etc. So I tell him to take me over there and lets take a look. He grabs my hand and pulls me to this table. I take the SKU#, memorize it, and we go back to the original position on the floor. He has a somewhat frantic look on his face and tells me he wants me to save that table for him. I deduce that in this child's minds eye that this is "HIS TABLE AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY IT OUT FROM UNDER HIM AND IT WON'T BE THERE ANYMORE WHEN HE GETS THE MONEY". He only sees one on the floor and that's the only one that exists in the universe. (Probably have 80 of them in stock @ the warehouse). I tell him that I will save that table for him and write the sku# on the back of my business card. I give him business card and tell him to stick it in his shirt pocket and don't lose it, this is the number of his saved table. I hold out my hand to "shake hands on the deal". We shaked hands, and I assured Brandon that his table is safe and waiting for him. "Thanks Mister Mark" was the reply, business card tucked safely in his pocket, and he walked back to dad with a beaming face. I smile and give dad the ok sign. I can see that this little tyke is going to go home and be able to sleep soundly tonight knowing he has his little table safe and assured waiting for him next week and that he was a BIG BOY for doing a business transaction. I also have to commend the father on letting his son perform "HIS OWN TRANSACTION". I would gladly trade a $5K sale for this $80 sale any day of the week.

Bob Moyer
10-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I work as a salesman at a large home furnishings center. I all of a sudden hear this little low volume high pitched voice call out "Hey Mister". I turn around and eyes have to scan downwards. Heres this little tyke that barely clears my kneecaps by a couple inches. No adult immediately close by. First thing that goes through my mind is a "CODE ADAM" for a lost child. Eyes scan the area and then I saw dad about 12-15 feet away and he nodded. I wink at dad and now, ok, I can calm down a bit. I got down on knees and probably still twice the height of this lad. I asked him how I could help him. He commences to tell me he wants to buy a table. He says he can't buy it now but will have to wait till next week when he has the money. I say ok, show me which table it is. His reply was "It's the one over there that PEOPLE ARE SITTING AT!!!!!". A little tile topped table that I figure he's going to use for kindergarten projects, drawing, water colors, etc. So I tell him to take me over there and lets take a look. He grabs my hand and pulls me to this table. I take the SKU#, memorize it, and we go back to the original position on the floor. He has a somewhat frantic look on his face and tells me he wants me to save that table for him. I deduce that in this child's minds eye that this is "HIS TABLE AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BUY IT OUT FROM UNDER HIM AND IT WON'T BE THERE ANYMORE WHEN HE GETS THE MONEY". He only sees one on the floor and that's the only one that exists in the universe. (Probably have 80 of them in stock @ the warehouse). I tell him that I will save that table for him and write the sku# on the back of my business card. I give him business card and tell him to stick it in his shirt pocket and don't lose it, this is the number of his saved table. I hold out my hand to "shake hands on the deal". We shaked hands, and I assured Brandon that his table is safe and waiting for him. "Thanks Mister Mark" was the reply, business card tucked safely in his pocket, and he walked back to dad with a beaming face. I smile and give dad the ok sign. I can see that this little tyke is going to go home and be able to sleep soundly tonight knowing he has his little table safe and assured waiting for him next week and that he was a BIG BOY for doing a business transaction. I also have to commend the father on letting his son perform "HIS OWN TRANSACTION". I would gladly trade a $5K sale for this $80 sale any day of the week.

Thanks for recognizing what really is important; reminded me of a sale over 30 years ago when I worked in an electronics store.

Nancy Laird
10-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Mark, this brought tears to my eyes. Reminded me of the first time I let my son--at about 4--order and pay for his own ice cream at BR. He was as proud as if he'd just won a contest.

Thanks for this post.

Nancy (60 days)

glenn bradley
10-22-2007, 3:30 PM
That . . . is priceless. Thanks for sharing. Warmed my heart.

Phyllis Meyer
10-22-2007, 3:49 PM
Mark,

Great story! As Clint Eastwood said, "Go ahead...make my day"!

Phyllis:)

Jim Becker
10-22-2007, 4:58 PM
Very kewel...and the perfect way to handle it. You're a credit to the sale profession!

Frank Guerin
10-22-2007, 8:41 PM
Thanks for taking time. I can only imagine the satisfaction in the young mans mind.

Jim Dunn
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for remembering your friends at SMC with that nice story.

mark page
10-23-2007, 2:07 PM
I can only hope that little tyke grows up to be another "Warren Buffett". I can only ponder that maybe...just maybe...someday someone will ask him what made him so successful. And his reply will be something like this: "I learned at an early age that honesty, integrity, and the willingness to go the extra mile for someone will pay off. It doesn't matter whether you gain financially or not, it will make you a better person, and that is all that matters to BE a success. If these are traits that you learn to live by, then you ARE a success. Now I learned this at an early age from a fellow, one that's probably long and since dead and gone. I didn't even know the man, but I knew his name. His name was "Mister Mark"."
Wouldn't that be the greatest!!!! I'll remember the little fella till the day I die, hope he remembers me too!!!!