PDA

View Full Version : Toxic Lumber

Steveo O'Banion
10-22-2007, 8:47 AM
Does anyone have any experience with dealing with toxic lumber? I know there are several lists out there regarding lumber that cause allergic reactions, but I'm more concerned about possible toxic effects of hardwoods used in food utensils like spoons, knife handles and cutting boards.

The worst personal experience I've ever had was using pernambuco. This beautiful orange hardwood is often used in the construction of bows for stringed instruments. I ended up getting the only nose bleed I've ever had in my life sanding a very small piece for a pen.

Steve

Jack Briggs
10-23-2007, 7:55 AM
I use cocobolo often and I must say that for the first few months, even wearing long sleeves when cutting, machining or sanding, I experienced very bothersome dermatitis. I however developed an immunity to it after 5 or 6 months and have no problems now.

One should always wear a dust mask when sanding any wood, not just the exotics. I think this may be the most often overlooked danger in a wood shop. Get an air cleaner to scrub the fine dust from the air anytime you're working in the shop.

David G Baker
10-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Steve,
Redwood got me almost every time I used it. It is not a food grade wood but is a beautiful wood when finished well.
The only time I have ever been sick from cutting wood was when I worked with the super duper pressure treated wood designed for boat docks. That stuff was evil.
Working with a wood that gives you a bloody nose is real scary. If it is that bad, I would never get near it again and would wonder what else it is doing to other areas of my body that are not giving off warning signs.