PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Woodsmith

Chris Jenkins
10-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm converting my Magazine collection to PDF. Some of the magazines have now started offering the years publication on CD at the end of the volume year. Does anyone know if Woodsmith does this? or going to do this? I'm looking for #112.

Thanks,

Chris

Don Stutsman
10-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Chris,

I have subscribed to WoodSmith since its inception. I have heard nothing about their thinking regarding converting to a CD format; although, it sure would save me a lot of room. WoodSmith has some back issues and they also produce a bound Annual volume. I have issue 112 and will be happy to copy it for you if you can't find one. Try www.woodsith.com (http://www.woodsith.com) to see what they may have. Regards

Don

Phil Sanders
10-22-2007, 7:09 AM
Chris:

A few years ago August Home Publishing offered all back issues starting from #20 on CDs (one CD for each year I think.) I waited and didn't buy the CD Set. Then someone started posting all the the PDF files from all the CDs on the newsgroup alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I was using dialup modem at the time and remember it taking over an hour to download the newsgroup one day. That person, or several individuals, posted the CD set 4 or 5 times. Just a person point, but I didn't copy the files to my PC harddrive because I thought it wrong.

August Home no longer offers back issues on CD. I never did complete my set of Woodsmith.

Phil

John Shuk
10-22-2007, 8:28 PM
I have Issue 112.
If you wanted to convert it to PDF and then mail it back to me that would be fine.
PM me if you would like.

Randy Klein
10-23-2007, 6:21 AM
I'm interested in how you're doing this. It's something I tried before by scanning and converting to PDF with OCR. But it was a very slow process to get a good scan.

Keith Starosta
10-23-2007, 8:38 AM
I'm interested in how you're doing this. It's something I tried before by scanning and converting to PDF with OCR. But it was a very slow process to get a good scan.

I know that there are probably plenty of ways to do this, but for me, the simplest way is to download and use a freeware application called CutePDF Writer. The software, after installed, acts basically like another option from your PRINT menu. In this case, after scanning, you would opt to print the item, then choose CutePDF Writer. It will prompt you to save the file as a PDF. Easy-peasy. I'm not sure if it allows you to append multiple pages to a single PDF file. I haven't tried that yet.

Just a thought....

- Keith

Ellen Benkin
10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I sold several complete years on eBay. You might check there for old issues.