PDA

View Full Version : Router Help

Michael Stanley
10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
My Freud ft2000 bit the dust while milling door parts this weekend. With the addition of a Router Razer and collet extension I had finesed it into a really good table mounted router. I'll investigate this week if it's cost affective to repair it. In the meantime I'm looking into possible replacements. My primary considerations at this point are the Freud ft2200 or the Triton 2 1/4 hp. The Freud would allow me to transfer my Router Razer and collet extension and pretty much put me back to where I was. For the same price I'm intrigued by the Tritons features and overall positive reviews. My question is would I miss the added power of the Freud? I tend to make multiple light passes when raising panels and making rails and stiles.

glenn bradley
10-22-2007, 12:50 AM
The Triton is a very nice machine. The new Freuds have a 5 year warranty.

SCOTT ANDREWS
10-22-2007, 1:09 AM
The Triton is a very nice machine. The new Freuds have a 5 year warranty.

Glenn
Would you go with the 2 1/4 triton,freud, or milwaukee??

Randal Stevenson
10-22-2007, 11:43 AM
ptreeusa.com/edirect_101207.htm

Peachtree, has more of the FT2200E (although the ones I've seen are marked vce) for $119, since you already have the router raiser.

Another option (just depends on budget and preference), is the new FT3000, with above the table adjustment and collet changes.

How did you like the router raizer on yours?

Thanks

glenn bradley
10-22-2007, 3:39 PM
Glenn
Would you go with the 2 1/4 triton,Freud, or Milwaukee??

Scott,

That is a hard question for me. The 5625 is such a beast that I love it for the sheer smooth power. Milwaukee's above the table adjustment pales compared to the smaller Triton.

My dad has the Triton and it is a nice router with a lot of 'router lift' features built in. He doesn't have enough time on it to comment but according to a reviewer who ran one for 6 months, there is plenty of power if you're not doing production work or raised panels. Raised panels are OK, just not a lot in a row.

I plan on a PRL lift for the 5625 in the future. Why spend as much on the lift as I did on the router? Because now that I've had the 5625, I can't see being without it.

If I was to do it from scratch I would be hard pressed not to get the Triton just for the savings. You could almost buy a spare and still be ahead. I just wish more folks made plates for it. The only ones I could find were phenolic so I had one machined for my dad out of aluminum.

Michael Stanley
10-22-2007, 4:51 PM
ptreeusa.com/edirect_101207.htm

Peachtree, has more of the FT2200E (although the ones I've seen are marked vce) for $119, since you already have the router raiser.

Another option (just depends on budget and preference), is the new FT3000, with above the table adjustment and collet changes.

How did you like the router raizer on yours?

Thanks

Thanks for the direction to Peachtree. Thats a good price. I don't believe mine can be repaired for that.
As far as the router raizer I really like it It takes a little while to install but it's pretty easy and operates smoothly. Paired up with the Xtreme Xtension makes for a really nice table setup.

Charles McCracken
10-23-2007, 8:02 AM
Thanks for the direction to Peachtree. Thats a good price. I don't believe mine can be repaired for that.
As far as the router raizer I really like it It takes a little while to install but it's pretty easy and operates smoothly. Paired up with the Xtreme Xtension makes for a really nice table setup.

Michael,

The base for the FT2200E is a direct replacement for the FT2000E so you should be able to reuse that part on the new tool and save about half of the install time of the Router Raizer.

Michael Stanley
10-23-2007, 9:40 AM
Michael,

The base for the FT2200E is a direct replacement for the FT2000E so you should be able to reuse that part on the new tool and save about half of the install time of the Router Raizer.

Thanks Charles, I was hoping that was the case.

Dave Falkenstein
10-23-2007, 10:12 AM
My Freud ft2000 bit the dust while milling door parts this weekend....

Michael - If your FT2000 would not start after you turned it off, then you might need a new switch. This router is known for switch problems. I had switch trouble on mine, and Charles sent me a new switch solving the problem. I hope it is as simple as that.