PDA

View Full Version : Nova Chucks with M33x3.5 Threads

Allen Neighbors
10-21-2007, 9:30 PM
I used to own a Grizzly Lathe. Before brain-use kicked in, I bought a 3-jaw chuck from Grizzly. Got smart... brain engaged, I researched 4-jaw chucks. Because all jaws fit all chucks, I chose the SuperNova2, and bought 2 of them with 1x8 Inserts. Beautiful.
Fast forward 3 years. I bought a Oneway 1640 lathe and it has M33x3.5 threads, for which there are no Nova Inserts. Bummer. Bought a Spindle Adapter. Now, I want another, larger chuck, but I don't want to have to use the Spindle Adapter, because the runout is unacceptable. But I can find only one place in the US that I can get a Titan Chuck with M33 threads. It'll cost just less than $400 bucks... and right now, Craft Supplies has the Titan sans jaws for only $164 with any threads but mine.:mad:
Surely I'm not the only woodturner that has run into this problem. Oneway and Vicmarc both have M33 threads. Has anybody else had this same problem? How did you solve it, and still eat?:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 9:58 PM
Allen...........That is interesting. It's also interesting that you can order the chuck with the M33x3.5 threads cut into the chuck.....model snc4.....

Allen Neighbors
10-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Ken, where is that?

Curt Fuller
10-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Why not just purchase a Oneway Stronghold? The jaws may not interchange with the Nova chucks but by the time you mess around with adaptors to get the Nova Titan to fit you could just buy a set or two of jaws for the Oneway.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Allen...if you go to Techantools website.....go to products....then select chucks.....then download the manual for it....on page 8 it shows the model I mentioned as orderable but once the threads are cut they can't be converted......it gives the model number for M33x3.5....down near the bottom of page 8.

Allen Neighbors
10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
It's too much trouble having to keep up with the different jaws for different chucks. I've been to other turner's shops and found that messing with different chucks is the pits. That's why I did the research and decided on Teknatool's Nova chucks. I just wish I'd known the trouble the M33 threads would cause me.
I wish I knew the exact threads the chuck bodies have before inserts, it might pay to just have them rethreaded by a good machinist.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Allen I can sympathize with you. I was gifted with a Jet VS Mini by the inmates here 20 months ago. I just ordered and have sitting in my shop a brand spanking new PM3520B. You see I was a couple of weeks away from having my shop finished when the Jet arrived. I've done nothing but turn for close to 2 years. A few weeks ago, I tore down the temporary bench and ordered the new lathe and a new MM-16. I will not use either until the shop is finished. Luckily for me, the inmates who gifted me were wise enough to order me a SN2. My new lathe takes a 1x8 thread and I was able to order the insert and my SN2 will work on the new lathe.

Good luck!

Dean Thomas
10-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I wish I knew the exact threads the chuck bodies have before inserts, it might pay to just have them rethreaded by a good machinist.
You might consider contacting the folks at Nova. They might well provide you with a thread specific chuck, or get you a blank! In fact, I know they make an insert for the Shopsmith that has only a 5/8" hole in it. That could certainly be bored out and threaded to fit your machine! I'm betting that Nova wants your business enough that they'll do it for you. Maybe at no cost, just to help protect their fading reputation. Just appear modestly irritated when you write, not enough to put them off, but enough to let them know that you're not being served well by having to purchase a whole new chuck system because they don't sell an insert for your machine. "Oneway will thread any of their chucks for any machine imaginable! How 'bout YOU, Nova???"

Brodie Brickey
10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Oneway will create a very accurate adapter for you. I don't have one, but I've heard very good things from others. This will allow you to use your current chucks as well.

Dusty Fuller
10-22-2007, 2:39 PM
But similar enough to ask. I've gotten a tentative "ok" from The Boss to buy a chuck for my Craftsman 12" wood lathe. I'm looking at the Oneway Talon right now, because of the adapters for other spindle sizes. The chuck will be mine longer than the lathe. Anyone with wood-on experience with this accessory? Any problems with the setup? Thanks!

Dusty

Allen Neighbors
10-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Ken, I really do appreciate all your help. I did as you said. I'd have to Special-order the chuck with the M33x3.5 threads. It will cost me about 370 bucks. I haven't been thinking straight enough. (See below).

Brodie, thanks. I'm going to do as you suggested. I wasn't thinking straight, because if I had that Chuck to fit the Spindle, and wanted to use one of my other chucks, I'd still have to put on a Spindle Adapter. I'm going to go ahead and order the Titan chuck from Craft Supplies at their sale price, and get an adapter from Oneway... maybe it'll be true, and not have the runout... at least they'd stand behind it if it did. Even adding the cost of the adapter, it'll still save me over $100. I should have gone that route from the start. At least, I don't think I'd have all this heartburn. :)
I do appreciate all the suggestions, folks... that's what I love about this forum. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Allen....keep in mind.....Hindsight is always 20:20!:D

Allen Neighbors
10-23-2007, 12:37 AM
That's what I used to say all the time. :) Wonder why I don't try to look back, first. Can one do that? :)