PDA

View Full Version : Cheap (temporary?) AT&T cell phone?

Curt Harms
10-21-2007, 8:29 PM
Well, my cell phone is MIA. I was CERTAIN I knew where it was, got back there a couple days later, no phone!!.GRRRR:mad:. Anyway, I have a Cingular/AT&T account. I was able to get a SIM chip to put in my wife's phone to use it for a short time. Does anybody know of a source for inexpensive but functional GSM phones that will work on Cingular's network? I don't care about music players, downloaded ring tones, texting etc. A VGA camera would be nice but not critical. I don't need a crackberry though I've found some of those for reasonable on Craigs List.

TIA for any advice.

Curt

skip coyne
10-21-2007, 9:39 PM
Ebay , Ive bought a half dozen or so over the years no problems all worked fine .

Jim Becker
10-21-2007, 9:50 PM
Any unlocked GSM phone that has the US bands on it will work with your AT&T SIM. Like Skip, I've purchased from EBAY in the past when I needed a second V551 that was unlocked.

Dan Mages
10-22-2007, 7:06 PM
I reccomend the Motorola Motofone F3. I had one for a while when I worked for Motorola and was pleasantly surprised by it. Since it was desgined for the third world, it is extremely durable, has great reception, and amazing battery life. You can find them on EBay for about $40

Good

Brian Elfert
10-22-2007, 8:37 PM
A guy I know buys cheap prepaid phones for the carrier he uses and just uses his SIM chip in them. I don't know if AT&T/Cingular has cheap prepaid phones.

Curt Harms
10-23-2007, 8:48 PM
After doing research, there's quite a few options out there. I'm going to Atlanta tomorrow Wed. There's a place northeast that sells recycled phones for about $30 and up, some of them unlocked. I ran an ad on Craigs List and got a couple interesting responses. Short term, I 'appropriated' my SWMBO's cell phone. Got a free replacement SIM card so we can swap SIM cards in the one phone.

Dan, I like the idea of simple and durable, same with tools. If it ain't there, it can't break. Ebay has a myriad of choices. Buy.com sells new unlocked GSM phones, ain't cheap but also no 2 year contract. Brian, I came home with a GoPhone (AT&T pay-as-you-go) today but it's pretty bare bones, don't know if I'll keep it.

Curt