PDA

View Full Version : OOOWWWW! my first accident.

Joe Mioux
10-21-2007, 7:31 PM
I hope this is the most severe accident I ever have.

Today, I hurt my toes, maybe even broke a one maybe two toes unclamping boards from a glue up.

the boards are 1.5 inch Oak 24 inches wide and over 10 ft long. The glued up boards were heavy. I was slipping a clamp out from under the boards and was holding the boards veritically with one hand. The board slipped out of my hand and the really really sharp jointed edge cut right across my two middle toes just below the toe nail.

I was wearing some top-siders with socks.

I can't tell you how much that hurt!!!

Even 5 hours later I can't put pressure on those toes.

Next time, work boots for everything.

joe

Jim Dunn
10-21-2007, 7:34 PM
Joe hope it's not to serious. Broke my little toe when I kicked the fireplace hearth, by accident. It was a month until I could put full pressure on my foot.

Ken Shoemaker
10-21-2007, 7:44 PM
Seems like the night for accidents. Just jammed a scarey sharp 1/4 inch chisle into my left fore finger!!!!:cool:

Jim Becker
10-21-2007, 7:48 PM
OUCH! 'Hope it heals fast!

Bill Huber
10-21-2007, 7:52 PM
I am sure that hurt like hell and I am sure there was some blue air around there also,

Hope it gets better fast.... and I bet you will be waring different shoes in the future.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-21-2007, 7:58 PM
ohhh right behind the nail~? Dat hooieets.

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2007, 8:22 PM
Ouch. Joe, I've got steel toed shoes, and most of the time I don't wear them in the shop. I need to.

Think about xrays. I think they'll probably just tape them together, but its probably better than walking around on them. If you broke more than one, they may do a cast. Maybe you got lucky and they're not broken.

Good luck with recovery.

Charles Wiggins
10-21-2007, 8:33 PM
Ooouuuuch! My toes are hurting just thinking about that! I usually wear my Reeboks because of all the standing, but I'll have to think about the steel toes next time I'm handling anything of size.

I hope there's no breaks.

Denny Rice
10-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I know this might be a "little" off subject, but my day job I work in the RV industry as a maintenance techincian and I know a little bit about being comfortable and safe in the shop. Up until about 5 yrs ago I wore tennis shoes to work everyday until one day while I was also doing cabinet work in a customers RV and I was moving the countertop and it slipped from my hand and hit my big toe and the one beside it. All I can say is it hurt like hell, the following week the MATCO tool man stopped by the shop like he does every week, and I noticed he had these really cool workboots for sale. They were made out of a really soft black leather, no break-in required. I ask a couple of questions and ended up buying a pair for a little over 100.00 dollars. The boots are made in Austraila by a company called REDBACK, (no Chinese stuff here) you will know them when you see them, they have a spider on the bottom of the sole. Needless to say in the past 5 yrs I have bought 2 pairs. I wear them everywhere and everyday--they are more comfortable than any tennis shoe I have ever owned. Needless to say I don't like spending 100 bucks or so for boots but I will do it to pprotect my feet anytime. I am no doctor either, but I use to have bad back pains from being on my feet all day, a couple of months after buying these boots the pain was gone. I have not bought another pair of tennis shoes since.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Joe.....sorry to hear about the foot! Here's hoping it heals fast.

Ken.....Here's hoping you heal fast too!

Cary Swoveland
10-22-2007, 12:00 AM
How's the board?

I normally wear sandals in the shop. I know I shouldn't, but they're sooo comfortable.

Cary

Joe Mioux
10-22-2007, 12:59 PM
How's the board?

I normally wear sandals in the shop. I know I shouldn't, but they're sooo comfortable.

Cary

That would is so hard and heavy it didn't sustain any damage.

My toe next to the big toe is what is hurting today. the other toe seems fine. this morning the swelling had gone down a bit, but it is bright red from the top of the toe to the first joint.

joe

Vic Damone
10-22-2007, 3:19 PM
Well, I got excited about an idea, I had and began fabricating a support out of angle iron (steel). I was in the middle of a MIG weld when a comet sized spark fell into the almost sandal like Gator shoes I was wearing. STUPID. That's going to leave a mark.

Vic