PDA

View Full Version : Richard Raffan's Turning DVD

Jim Kountz
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Notice to all newbie turners. If you're just starting out in turning you probably have learned a few things and think you're doing ok. You may think you've got some technique down and you're really moving along. If so, do not buy this video!!! It will make you feel like a small child just learning how to walk!! This guy is so slick at what he does its almost not even natural. I thought I had a handle on some of this stuff until I saw this, now I know I got no groove!! My turning mojo has been lost!!
All kidding aside this is a great video and shows some nice technique. I would recommend this to all newbies in a minute! I picked it up at Amazon for about $7 so its a good value too.

Jim

Barry Elder
10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Would also recommend the book of the same name by Raffan. The book gives you something to read and practice by. It's hard to keep the dust out of the DVD player and TV when you are turning.

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Jim the video and the book are great. You ought to get his video on box making. It is a great video.

Tom Sherman
10-21-2007, 12:47 PM
I will agree with all the above replys Jim I have most of Raffan's videos and find them very valuable assets refer to them frequently.

Larry Marley
10-21-2007, 1:43 PM
Jim,
That was funny...
guess I need to pick up a new video

Dave Carey
10-22-2007, 3:19 PM
If this is the DVD I think it is, it references pages in the book as he goes through his paces. I've found the book references to be a helpful addition. Allows you to really think through what he's telling you on the DVD. I found a VHS version in my local library and bought the book on Amazon.