PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gremlins Delta 22-580 2sp Planer

David LaRue
02-07-2004, 5:00 PM
The tool Gremlins are invading my shop. :rolleyes:

I was just using my Delta 2 speed planer and ran a few boards through it to clean up the surface. I shut it off to go get a another board and went to turn it back on and it won't. :(

I checked the safety switch above the dust hood. Seems to be ok. I checked the outlet - it's ok.

I wasn't running the planer very long, and I have only used this planer a half a dozen times, and never with rough wood, since I just got my jointer... (see my thread from last weekend in the shop)

I can't find a reset button anywhere. Is there one? Anybody run into this before? I Tried to call the local service center but they are only open m-f 8-5.

David

Donnie Raines
02-07-2004, 5:10 PM
...just an idea....did the breaker trip in the sub panel? :confused:

DOnnieR

David LaRue
02-07-2004, 5:22 PM
...just an idea....did the breaker trip in the sub panel? :confused:

DOnnieR

I checked the outlet and it is fine, and even moved it to another location and tried it there. Still no go.

Jim DeLaney
02-07-2004, 7:33 PM
Most likely, you've got dust and/or chips into one of the switches. The dut hood safety switch would be my first suspect. You can test the switches by first removing them - one at a time, and <B><I>only after unplugging the tool</B></I> - and then removing the two wires from the back of the switch and jumpering them together. Carefully plug the tool back in and see if it starts. If it does, you've found your bad part. If it doesn't, unplug the tool, reinstall that switch ,and jumper the other one. If neither switch is the culprit, then you've likely got loose or broken wiring within the motor, or bad motor brushes.

Good luck!

The tool Gremlins are invading my shop. :rolleyes:

I was just using my Delta 2 speed planer and ran a few boards through it to clean up the surface. I shut it off to go get a another board and went to turn it back on and it won't. :(

I checked the safety switch above the dust hood. Seems to be ok. I checked the outlet - it's ok.

I wasn't running the planer very long, and I have only used this planer a half a dozen times, and never with rough wood, since I just got my jointer... (see my thread from last weekend in the shop)

I can't find a reset button anywhere. Is there one? Anybody run into this before? I Tried to call the local service center but they are only open m-f 8-5.

David

David LaRue
02-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Most likely, you've got dust and/or chips into one of the switches. The dut hood safety switch would be my first suspect. You can test the switches by first removing them - one at a time, and <B><I>only after unplugging the tool</B></I> - and then removing the two wires from the back of the switch and jumpering them together. Carefully plug the tool back in and see if it starts. If it does, you've found your bad part. If it doesn't, unplug the tool, reinstall that switch ,and jumper the other one. If neither switch is the culprit, then you've likely got loose or broken wiring within the motor, or bad motor brushes.

Good luck!

Jim,

You were correct!! It was the switch. The PC store took care of it and I got it back and it works great.

Dave