PDA

View Full Version : air compressor rebuild help

John A. Williams
10-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone, I got a free Craftsman 6 hp, 30 gallon compressor from my wifes work. It has a seized piston. I found repair parts on the Sears website for around $100.00. It has been taken apart before I got it and some pieces are missing.
I really don't like the oiless compressors and would like to buy a motor and pump to convert this to a oiled compressor. Does anyone know where to get the parts I would need to make this conversion?
Thanks for any help
John

Dale Lesak
10-21-2007, 12:42 PM
John, I don't think you will be able to just convert it to a oil type compressor. you will need a new pump and a motor. I don't know what type of motor you have on the unit now but it might be able to be used to run the new pump. You might want to watch for old compressors with bad tanks. some of the new pumps and motors will cost you more than a new compressor. If all else fails you can use the tank as a extra air tank. "If the pressure ratings are the same"

nic obie
10-21-2007, 2:53 PM
Hi John,

I just bought The 13 cfm pump from these guys, hooked it up to a 3 hp (15 amp) motor and it works great. You can use a 2 hp motor (12 amps) but will have to use a smaller motor pulley and won't get the 13 cfm.

They sell on ebay, but I bought mine direct.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/518643.htm

Curt Harms
10-21-2007, 6:05 PM
Is this any good? I have no idea, no experience with it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93786
It might be large for your purposes but You might be able to change pullies and run it slower. I couldn't get the Eaton compressor site to load, it might take Sunday off:p

Curt

Bill Ryall
10-21-2007, 6:07 PM
Grainger has most anything you would need.

David G Baker
10-21-2007, 6:11 PM
John,
If you have access to Grainger they will have almost any part you need.
Bill you beat me by a minute or so.

John A. Williams
10-21-2007, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I would need a new motor and pump since the motor and pump are together on the compressor now. It's a shame too, because the motor and whole compressor looks fairly new, other than the seized piston.