PDA

View Full Version : Sepele and Maranti

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
The continuing tale of my out-of-doors Chippendale chairs:

Lumber is becoming a game. Just when I decided to go with White Oak I learn that unfortunately White Oak is not do-able. No one in my area inventories it.
Cyrus R Fox has Red. No thanks.
and they have Maranti which they are calling mahogany and what they call a 2"x6" is $5.15 linear foot ( it's really a 1&3/4" by 5&1/2")

US Mahogany has Sepele which he is calling Mahogany. He has it undressed at about 8-quarter thick by various width from 4 - 10" for $6.95 a board foot.

I dunno know nuthin bout either in an out of doors application.

Any one know these lumbers?

Fox also has IPE at $7.50 in that pseudo 2"x6" per linear foot.

IPE works up well and glues well with Resourcinol.
But the 200 feet I'll need will cost me about $1500 just for the wood.

However the missus wants to paint it white.
Will IPE bleed through epoxy paint~~?? IPE will bleed through most conventional paints.

Arrrgghhh

Dan Barr
10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Dont waste the money on the wood if youre going to paint it white.

maybe just go with some cedar or maybe some #1 or 2 common red oak. you ought to be able to find some sort of deal on it somewhere. probably
$1-3 a bf. i wouldnt buy anything by the linear foot.

regards,

Dan

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-21-2007, 1:23 PM
Dont waste the money on the wood if youre going to paint it white.

An awful lot of mahogany is painted. Mahog is a good exterior wood because it is both hard and stable.

Cedar is too soft for a joined chair. The shoulders of tenons would break down the glue joints would fail.

To the best of my knowledge Red Oak is not a good exterior material.

i wouldnt buy anything by the linear foot.

If that's how the material one wants is being sold one does not have a whole lot of choice.

Remember back when everyone in the hardwood business spoke in true dimensions (one inch meant one inch) and nothing was overstated. Now they are doing to hard woods what the construction lumber industry did to construction lumber.
Nothing means what the words say any more.

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 1:52 PM
Weight is an issue with outside furniture. Gets moved around alot. I have a few Adirondacks. The cedar is light and easy to maneuver. The Philippine mahogany is a bear to move.:)
Gary

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-21-2007, 3:14 PM
Weight is an issue with outside furniture. Gets moved around alot. I have a few Adirondacks. The cedar is light and easy to maneuver. The Philippine mahogany is a bear to move.:)
Gary

I like heavy. It prevents people from moving it too much from where my wife puts it.

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 3:24 PM
I like heavy. It prevents people from moving it too much from where my wife puts it.
You might not like heavy if you have to move them at end of season or whatever. I know someone who wrentched their back trying to pick one up by himself.:(
Gary

John Bush
10-21-2007, 5:18 PM
Hi Cliff,
I have built several outdoor pieces using recycled cedar fencing and I also found a pallet of unsurfaced straight grained 4"x6"ers at a local specialty lumber yard/mill that does special order wide straight grain beveled siding. They sold the pallet full for $.35/ft. It didn't meet their standards but was just fine for me!! Most pieces I finish with clear deck stain with UV protection and the finish looks good for several years. My wife has painted some and they take on a more rustic look. Here are some pics of the double Adirondak settee style I make. This is from resawn 6x6 cedar posts and stained with the cheapest deck stain at HD:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/Picture002-1.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/bushhog104/Picture001-1.jpg

Note the screw stains. Now I use brass screws and it looks much better. This is 3 years of summer exposure. Darkens a bit .
The arbor and swing in the background are made from pressure Tx'ed lumber. I just primed and painted with extra paint on hand. It has held up well too. Good luck, John.

I just finished making 3 more of the settees for local auctions and I have used up all of my old fencing material so I am out of business for a while. Back to the honey-do!!

Curt Harms
10-21-2007, 6:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he has white oak for a decent price. November 3 to Philly & Joisy.

HTH

Curt

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-21-2007, 7:50 PM
I'm pretty sure he has white oak for a decent price. November 3 to Philly & Joisy.

HTH

Curt

Who~?? "November 3 to Philly & Joisy"~? Who is that?

I just found Willard Brother's in Trenton, they may have White Oak

Jim Becker
10-21-2007, 7:59 PM
Cliff, Willard does carry white oak if I'm remembering correctly. It's been quite a while since I stopped by there, however.

Mike Parzych
10-21-2007, 8:09 PM
Maranti (Meranti) is what Pottery Barn calls Phillipine mahogany, which doesn't even make good firewood.