PDA

View Full Version : 10"/12" SCMS--Best dust collection models?

Jameel Abraham
10-21-2007, 8:39 AM
I'm remodelling my shop and although I have a nice DeWalt Radial saw, it's been out of the shop for over a year and I haven't missed it.

So I'm thinking about selling the RAS and upgrading my SCMS (currently have the Bosch 3915) to one that has better capbility for dust collection. Any ideas?

The Kapex looks fantastic, but the price is nuts.

Eric Parham
10-21-2007, 9:11 AM
I have a hitachi 12" cms and a 10"scms. The dust collection on both works ok. I used to have a dewalt12 scms and the dust collection on that saw was very bad. I don' think I ever filled the bag.

Chuck Lenz
10-21-2007, 10:30 AM
A slideing compound miter saw with good dust collection ? I doubt there is such a thing. If your useing a dust collector you could build a scroud around the back of it that might improve it some.

frank shic
10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
get a decent portable stand so that you can move the whole contraption outdoors and let the wind carry away the fine particles and a decent broom so that you can sweep up the larger chips.

Jamie Buxton
10-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Look into Fastcap's new dust collection tent. http://wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/fcsawhood.gif

It may look a bit weird, but it should capture most of the dust from an SCMS -- which is a difficult thing to do.

It collapses easily, so you can set it up only when you need it.

Jameel Abraham
10-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a hitachi 12" cms and a 10"scms. The dust collection on both works ok. I used to have a dewalt12 scms and the dust collection on that saw was very bad. I don' think I ever filled the bag.

Thanks.

A slideing compound miter saw with good dust collection ? I doubt there is such a thing. If your useing a dust collector you could build a scroud around the back of it that might improve it some.

Yeah, they stink at dust collection, just trying to find the one with the "best"

get a decent portable stand so that you can move the whole contraption outdoors and let the wind carry away the fine particles and a decent broom so that you can sweep up the larger chips.

Ever been to Iowa? It gets kinda cold here...;)

Look into Fastcap's new dust collection tent. http://wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/fcsawhood.gif

It may look a bit weird, but it should capture most of the dust from an SCMS -- which is a difficult thing to do.

It collapses easily, so you can set it up only when you need it.

My SCMS would reside almost permanently in my shop, so the shroud is out. Too big. Good idea though.

Anyone care to post some pics of their SCMS dust collection setup?

J.R. Rutter
10-21-2007, 1:11 PM
I also have a Hitachi 10" that I got because it has a large diameter DC port. I adapt a 4" hose down to fit and have a shroud made from 2-liter bottle plastic that helps collect the dust. Still has spray around the table, but I don't breathe any fine dust from it. The pic is rev #1. 4" drop is now 2 ft above the saw with short flex hose. it is pretty noisy - all that air rushing through such a small orifice, but it works pretty well.

http://www.nas.com/~harmonic/NewShop/crosscut.jpg

Josh Youngman
10-21-2007, 1:29 PM
I also have the Hitachi 10" and agree with JR. The dust collection capabilities are better than other saws ive worked with.

harry strasil
10-21-2007, 3:02 PM
How about a RAS dust collector?

Jamie Buxton
10-21-2007, 3:18 PM
My SCMS would reside almost permanently in my shop, so the shroud is out. Too big. Good idea though.

Collecting the dust from a SCMS is difficult. The saw can be spraying dust in all sorts of directions, from all sorts of locations. It takes a big hood to capture most of it. You can have a permanent big hood in your shop, or you can have a hood which you can store away when you're not using it.