PDA

View Full Version : YAHOO New House, New Shop

Lou Ferrarini
10-21-2007, 6:33 AM
Since I have retired in Jauary, we have decided to move. We found a house near Roanoke VA. It has a 20 X 30 foot garage for my shop. My existing shop is a 16 X 20' detached building. I am excited to have so much more room, but there are a few challenges. The garage is attached to the house and only has 8' celings. Also, there is a load bearing column in the center. I figure I can put the table saw on one side of the column and the jointer on the other, and run the dust collector pipe and power down from the celing at the column.

If any of you have a shop with similar dimensions, I would love to see some sketches of how your shop is layed out. I will take some pictures when I get out there. We are moving in about 3 weeks. YEAYYYYYY!!!!!

Dick Bringhurst
10-21-2007, 6:49 AM
Lou, I envy you. I went the other way to a smaller shop, I now call it my sideways shop. The only way to get around is to go sideways. Maybe I should call it my "Blue Crab" shop. Dick B.

Jim Becker
10-21-2007, 9:45 AM
Congratulations, Lou...both on the retirement and the new digs!! Enjoy building your new shop out!

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 11:35 AM
My shop is about that size but I can't find my diagram posted here . . . somewhere. . . I'll keep looking or re-post.

Lou Ferrarini
10-21-2007, 2:03 PM
Thanks guys. Spent the better part of today packing up the shop. Let LOML work on the house. I have about 1/3 of the shop packed. Plenty of time, 3 1/2 weeks to moving day.

Time to quit for the day and enjoy a brewski.

Scott Welliver
10-21-2007, 2:48 PM
I have a 22x14 space (the back 14' of a really deep 2-car garage), plus a storeroom for tools/paint/abrasives/etc, but like you there is a post right in the middle. I've attached a diagram to show how I worked around the post.

Like you already contemplated -- I ran dust collection pipe / drops down the post for the (4) machines adjacent to it (jointer, band saw, table saw, lathe). There is a section of 4" hose going from the drop at the post across the floor to the table saw, that's the only trip hazard. The drop for the planer/molder is directly overhead, and there is an overhead drop (with flex hose tied up to ceiling) that can be dropped down and connected to the router table fence.

The table saw, planer, and sanders are all on mobile bases and have quick-disconnect dust hoses so they can be moved when necessary -- but that is only needed when working on larger items. Someday I may give into parking outside, and claim the rest of the garage (another 20x22 feet at the "top" of this diagram), but getting into a warm car in the morning has been too much of a priority so far.

Dust collection drops for the sanders and drill press are wall mounted. There are also shelves above the workbench, compressor and grinders. Every cubic inch counts!

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 2:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/Birthday%20Smiley/congrats.gif I had the same situation 3 years ago. New house and basement shop. Sealed and painted the floors and walls. Put a bunch of fluorescent lights and installed a pellet stove. I'm in heaven.
Gary

Rick Levine
10-21-2007, 3:50 PM
I just finish my dream shop a few months ago so I still have my design readily available. I made a few modifications to the original layout and the attached PDF reflects the changes. I've been a photographer (professionally) form most of my career, although that changed about 10 years ago but I wanted to build a wet darkroom for my retirement as well as a woodworking shop. Obviously I have two hobbies I plan to pursue.

I hope you will find the layout useful.

Lou Ferrarini
10-21-2007, 5:23 PM
Someday I may give into parking outside, and claim the rest of the garage (another 20x22 feet at the "top" of this diagram), but getting into a warm car in the morning has been too much of a priority so far.

Thanks Scott. I am not planning on parking my truck in the garage (the winters are not too bad here) so I have the whole space available for the shop!!!

Lou Ferrarini
10-21-2007, 5:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/Video/Birthday%20Smiley/congrats.gif I had the same situation 3 years ago. New house and basement shop. Sealed and painted the floors and walls. Put a bunch of fluorescent lights and installed a pellet stove. I'm in heaven.
Gary

Gary,

The walls and ceiling are already finished with sheetrock and plaster. I kind of wish they weren't so I could run my dust collection piping and power for a sub panel in the walls but I can work around that.

Jim O'Dell
10-21-2007, 6:46 PM
Great news, Lou! Enjoy the planning and then the implementation of the new shop. Your idea on the placement of the TS and jointer sound like a great possibility. Is there a way to make the planer fit the last side of the column? If the infeed or outfeed was the same height as the TS, it would be a great placement. And have the Jointer table end just short of the planer. Be sure to keep us informed on the progress of the ideas! Jim.

Tyler Boleyn
10-21-2007, 7:17 PM
Planning a shop layout is just as fun as buying a new tool. Congradulations.

Bill Huber
10-21-2007, 8:06 PM
Well I have done the down size part, 2 years now and that was not a fun job, packing all the stuff up.

I still have 3 years to go for the good part..

Have fun and get that stuff packed..

glenn bradley
10-21-2007, 9:56 PM
Found a reasonably current version of mine that may spark some ideas: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=71383&d=1189134151

Oh, and here's the current one:

Nancy Laird
10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Lou, we have a similar setup in the middle of our shop, with a pole down the middle. However, ours was on purpose--we ran a piece of pipe down the middle to run electrical wiring through for the 220 and 110 for the Unisaw on one side and the jointer and planer on the other side. It also provided a dedicated space for the DC pipe to come down from the overhead to those three machines. Those three machines grouped around the center makes for a fairly compact work area, leaving the perimeter for the smaller machines and workbenches.

Nancy (61 days)