PDA

View Full Version : Old 30" Bandsaw for $200 in Maryland

Jack Ganssle
10-21-2007, 4:13 AM
Folks,

I won't but the URL here in fear of violating the TOS, but the Baltimore Craigslist has a listing for a 30" bandsaw, disassembled, for $200. I was surprised it's listed with only a 2 hp motor.

If only I had room for it!

Jack

Brian Hale
10-21-2007, 7:32 AM
OMG :eek:

I don't have room for it do I?????????

Might fit in the laundry room? Sure would save a bunch of eletcricty if she used a clothes line instead of a dryer..... :rolleyes:

Brian Hale
10-21-2007, 8:05 AM
...... AND it's located in COCKEYSVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Starosta
10-21-2007, 9:18 AM
Jump on it, Brian!!! C'mon......ya know you want it.....just a 'lil taste....

;)

- Keith

Brian Hale
10-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I called and left a message.............

I've got the cash.

To make room I could sell the MM16 and be ahead of the game ;)

After i got "The Look", LOML said "Another bandsaw? You've already got 3, what do you need another one for!?!?!?"

I'm sick

Is there a BS support group around?

Brian :)

Jim O'Dell
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
I called and left a message.............

I've got the cash.

To make room I could sell the MM16 and be ahead of the game ;) ......

Or rebuild this one, sell 1 or 2 of the others, not including the MM16:D, and still be ahead of the game! That has to be a monster! Jim.

John Shuk
10-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Pics will be REQUIRED!!

Brian Hale
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Just got the call.

It's still available ! ! ! !

7 miles from my house ! ! !

I'll meet him at there 12:30.

He said it runs just fine but the tires could stand to be replaced. Fairly new 2hp 220v Dayton motor and comes with a couple extra blades. Said 2 young strong men can move it around when it's dissambled (which it is).

Where the heck an i going to put this thing?????

Brian Hale
10-21-2007, 3:14 PM
I bought it!

It's a J.T. Plass 30" with a nice 13.5 amp 2hp motor and ~24" x ~24" table. It's unique in that the blade guides are on the left, in other words, as you're standing in front of it ,the wheels are to your right. never saw one like that before.

All the safety covers and such are made of plywood except for the upper wheel cover which is a large cast iron grate, not real pretty but.

A quick internet search shows a patent from 9/6/1870 for JT Plass for safety improvements to a bandsaw. Mine looks very similar to the one image with the patent but without the safety improvements so i'm assuming it's older than 1870. Can't say for sure though.

Link to the patent info:
http://www.datamp.org/displayPatent.php?number=107195&type=UT

I've got 1 week to pick it, just need 3-5 good strong guys to lend a hand.

Lance Norris
10-21-2007, 3:21 PM
Is there a BS support group around?

I'll join... I love my 3.:)

Jack Ganssle
10-21-2007, 5:50 PM
Brian,

Congrats! I'm not terribly strong, but am willing to help after I get back from Asia in a week (stuck here on yet another biz trip) if it's not moved by then. I live in Randallstown, and would love to see the monster.

Jack (410-960-0707 after Monday a week from now).

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2007, 6:39 PM
Congrats, Brian. Now thats old arn. I will also use this tale next time I have to get something past the CFO. "But honey, theres this guy on the creek who's got 4 bandsaws..." ;)

Jim Dunn
10-21-2007, 7:39 PM
Where the heck an i going to put this thing?????

Looks like you got a planer all covered with dust that isn't being used:p. Course dusty tools are a no/no in my little shop. Never know when SWMBO may conduct a "white glove" test:o

Eric Larsen
10-21-2007, 7:52 PM
Brian -- I love the combination jointer/catbox in the first picture.

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2007, 8:26 PM
Never know when SWMBO may conduct a "white glove" test:o

Geez Jim, when you come by for coffee, make sure she stays on the main floor...

Brian Hale
10-22-2007, 4:37 PM
Jack, thanks for the offer ! ! I need to get it out of his place by Sunday at the latest so you'll miss out on all the fun but your more than welcome to stop by and play with it. Alas, it'll be after the first of the year before i'll have any time to work on it. :(

Gary, i guess that means I have to keep all 4 saws? Hmmmmmm :D

Eric, you weren't supposed to see that ! ! ! :eek: That's my DC boo boo..... ;)

I'll be clearing a spot for it this week and hopefully it'll be out of the way for a couple months. I still have that cherry dinning table that must be done before Christmas and i haven't gotten the wood or even made the drawings for it yet.

Rob Diz
10-22-2007, 4:44 PM
I have nothing to add but my admiration.

Congrats on a serious impulse purchase of the week.

You can barely get a cord of firewodd for $200, and with a 30 inch BS, you can practically use that bease to cut up tree stumps.