PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO454 Vs Powermatic 209

John Karam
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Both 20 inch planers, and I need to decide on one or the other. The Grizzly is $1250 ($1472 shipped) while the Powermatic is $1999 (Not sure the shipping price but I believe I could pick it up myself). The Powermatic is being offered to me for $1782 (Tomorrow only however).

Will Grizzly discount shipping for buying multiple machines from them at once? I'm likely to be buying an 8 inch jointer from Grizzly so if they do that may tips the scale in their favor?

So which would you guys pick if you were in this situation?

Thanks for the info

Mike Heidrick
10-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I would buy the PM209 after seeing one in person at a friends shop (not that I will trade the Delta). Grizzly will not discount most likely but feel free to call them. A woodnet member bought an entire shop full of green and they did not discount. You also take a risk of shipping damage and if you have a chance to get the PM local in person DO IT. Just $.02 from a $.01 guy.

I just bought my first Grizzly piece today. 1066Z sander. Pretty darn sweet.

John Karam
10-21-2007, 1:26 AM
They didn't discount eh? Ahh, that sucks I was hoping on getting a discount if i bought a jointer, planer, and bandsaw from them. I'm going to give them a call when I get a chance though.

I saw the 209 today and really liked the look, the only thing I wished for was the mobile base that the GO454 has.

John Karam
10-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Any other opinions on the this?

Lee Hingle
10-21-2007, 11:13 AM
John,
I have the Griz 0454. I also looked at the Powermatic 209 extensively. I paid $1253 with shipping on the grizz and like you said the Powermatic is $1999 so I went with the griz due ti price and have not been disappointed - even planing 19" wide black walnut (cut like warm butter).
Having said that, your deal sounds a little different. The price difference is only $300 in your case, so I might be inclined to go with the powermatic. The main differences are that the powermatic has an extra set of feed gears which you can change out to increase feed speed, and the powermatic is made in Taiwan, while the griz is made in China. I have not seen the powermatic owner's manual, but I can vouch for the griz manual, it is very, very clear and concise - not like some of their older manuals and some of the manuals from Jet.
Just my $.02 - good luck and you will not be disappointed in either machine from what I have seen.
Lee

Jim Eller
10-21-2007, 1:57 PM
John,

I can not tell you any thing about the Griz and it may not be a direct comparison, but I have the 2090HH and really like it.

Smooooooooooth and quiet.

Jim

John Karam
10-21-2007, 8:33 PM
Thanks for the thoughts everyone...sadly the opportunity has passed as I was too busy with some work today and couldn't get back down to the show. I will likely buy the Grizzly now because of the price difference.

Lee - If you don't mind, how long have you had the grizzly planer for? and what kinds of wood have you been running through it? Glad to hear it runs walnut well since I tend to be a walnut...nut.

Thanks