PDA

View Full Version : Who besides Carter makes decent replacement guides?

Rich Tesoroni
10-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Need a lower guide for a Centauro 24". Carter's web site shows only the smaller CP-30 guide will fit, limited to a 3/4" blade. The 500 series only seems to have a regular and wide version.

I'd like one guide that can go 1/4" to 1". Figure most of the time a 1/2" 3TPI will sit there, but would like to be able to use a 1" blade on occassion.

Thanks,
Rich

Joe Spear
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Call Louis Iturra at Iturrra Design. He is the bandsaw expert and may be able to help you. 866-883-8064 or 904-371-3998

Doug Shepard
10-21-2007, 6:43 PM
I've seen these guys mentioned on posts about guides for some of the bigger bandsaws. Dont have any personal experience with them though.
http://www.paddocktool.com/

rick fulton
10-21-2007, 7:24 PM
http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&product_id=128&category_id=35&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Many MiniMax machines are manufactured by Centauro.

Mike Wilkins
10-22-2007, 3:43 PM
Laguna Tools makes their ceramic guides available for other manufacturers' machines. Perhaps they can help.
I have them on my LT18 that I retrofitted, after the thrust bearing fried itself.
A bear to set up, but worth it for the amount of support they give the blade.

Loren Hedahl
10-22-2007, 7:15 PM
On my old Delta 14 inch, whenever I change blades, or have a precise cut to make, I remove the guide blocks, true up the faces on a disc sander and reinstall 'em.

When the old ones get too short, I just make new guide blocks out of whatever hardwood scraps I have.

I have tried 'Kool Blocks' in the past, but don't see much difference between them and my hardwood scrap ones.

I think the trick is in keeping the faces true.

Rich Tesoroni
10-22-2007, 7:40 PM
Thanks all. Once I put the wheels back on, the Paddock site shows the distance between the back of blade and the saw frame that's required. Just what I needed.

I use wood scraps in my smaller saw, but I need a guide for this saw to put the scraps in. I may have some R8 toolholders, but no milling machine, so I'm not ready to make my own guides.

Rich