PDA

View Full Version : Creeker gathering with pics

Nancy Laird
10-20-2007, 8:48 PM
You may remember this post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66076. Well, today was the day, and LOML and I had the honor and pleasure of attending this gathering at Mike's. After a looooonng search for the right part of town (I HATE MapQuest), we finally found the right house and joined the fun.

You may recall Mike and Kevin discussing their mulberry-tree find; Mike mounted a huge blank on his lathe and several of us took a stab at it, before he got out the coring tool and got another nice blank out of it.

Jason Clark also gave us a demonstration of his technique for off-center turning and making the lattice box top; he makes it look so easy.

From left: Jason Clark, yours truly, Ian Salsman, George Conklin, Kevin McPeek, Mike Vickery, and Brett Baldwin.

Told you that blank was big! I was actually scared of it--and the lathe was a little too tall for me.

Jason's off-center concentric circles - awesome turning!

Mike coring out that huge blank.

The inside of the new bowl - isn't it pretty??

I had a good time, I learned some things, and I also left with that pretty African sumac bowl! Thanks, Mike, for hosting this. I enjoyed meeting everyone and may go back next year.

Nancy (62 days)

Dennis Peacock
10-20-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm jealous and CONGRATS to all of you!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not the least bit green. :D

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Congrats Nancy. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Steve Schlumpf
10-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for posting Nancy! Great photos! Had to have been a blast!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Congrats!

I'm not the least bit jealous!:rolleyes:

Kevin McPeek
10-21-2007, 11:38 AM
It was a good time for sure. It was great to meet a few other Creekers. We hope to see you back next year Nancy.

We ended up finishing a collaborative piece that That Jason, Brett, Mike and I all took some portion of. I will post it after I actually sand and finish it, but it did turn out well in my opinion. Mike got to show off his vacuum chuck prowess and turn a little foot on it.

Tom Sherman
10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Cool looks like a great get together

Mike Vickery
10-21-2007, 1:10 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Nancy. I hope everyone had as good a time as I did.

Larry Marley
10-21-2007, 1:39 PM
Very cool, looks like fun

Skip Spaulding
10-21-2007, 4:07 PM
Thanks for the great pictures Nancy, looks like a real good and productive time!

Sean Troy
10-21-2007, 8:26 PM
It must be actually cool enough to work out in the shop now that summer is over. Bet ya love the weather right now !

Brett Baldwin
10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
It was a good time. Sorry I'm late with the post but here are a few more pics from the gathering.
Nancy getting some shavings flying with Mike looking on...
Ian taking some meat off the mulberry...
Jason in the middle of his lattice top demo with George, Nancy and Ian looking on...
Mike starting the coring...

Unfortunately I didn't get pics of Kevin or Dave. Sorry guys. Luckily noone got any of me butchering anything so I'm safe 'till next year at least.:D

Brian Weick
10-27-2007, 6:48 PM
I really wish I could go to one of your meetings and meet you guys! that looks like you had a lot of fun- I sure could have learned a lot-Thank you for posting this- maybe next year I can coordinate my schedule and fly on out- that would be a lot of fun :)
Brian

Mike Vickery
10-28-2007, 11:37 AM
You would definately win the prize for the longest trip if you show up. Currently Nancy coming has been our only out of state guest.

Personally I think she just came to collect her African Sumac bowl
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65613&highlight=african+sumac
Yes Jim the contest is over Nancy claimed it.
Maybe next year we need to have a prize for longest trip out.

Nancy Laird
10-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Currently Nancy coming has been our only out of state guest.

Personally I think she just came to collect her African Sumac bowl
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65613&highlight=african+sumac
Yes Jim the contest is over Nancy claimed it.

No, Mike, that was NOT the only reason I came:) . I hope you were joking---I really enjoyed meeting everyone and your big lathe had me intimidated! But we also had three other reasons for coming - to see Scott in Glendale, to visit friends, and to see #1 daughter whom we had not seen in about 6 years (estrangement may be over, I hope). Your gathering was just the impetus for the trip (and the anticipation over the bowl helped, too!:D ). Sorry, Jim. Maybe I'll let you borrow it some time!

Nancy (54 days)

TYLER WOOD
10-29-2007, 5:38 PM
Nancy, I hear ya on the mapquest. We looped I10 around Wurzback rd. in San Antonio 6 times trying to find the hotel we were staying in. Horribly written instructions!!!!:mad:

Mike Vickery
10-29-2007, 7:42 PM
Yeah I was just kidding Nancy.

I finally got all the picture together and posted them on my site if anyone wants to take a look.
http://www.distinctiveturnings.com/mikevickery/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=categories&cid=22&Itemid=38