PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Planer Knives For DeWalt 735

Dave Sweeney
10-20-2007, 8:03 PM
OK, I did a Search for these knives and found a few post where people said they were going to order or had ordered these knives but hadn't installed them yet. A few said they would report back on the quality of these knives but unfortunately I couldn't find where they did that.

So is there anyone that has actually bought a set of the Infinity knives for the DeWalt Planer and installed them? It's time for me to order a set for my planer and I'm leaning heavily towards the Infinity set but a positive recommendation would make spending 33% more for them then the DeWalt knives go for a little easier to live with. Or, are they not worth the extra $$?

Vic Damone
10-20-2007, 8:46 PM
I just tried a search for a response to a thread I read some months back, unfortunately I couldn't find it. In short that user reported similar issues with the aftermarket blades. On the other hand some users have long runs without any problems.

My take on the issue is that the blades are simply too thin and an obvious revenue stream for the manufacturer.

Vic

John Bush
10-20-2007, 9:11 PM
Not sure of the Dewalt variety but I got a set of Infinity blades for my Parks and they have been a great value. Smooth cuts out of the box and lasted a long time before needing resharpening. Wuld buy them again.

Gary Keedwell
10-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Someone, who's opinion I respect, highly recommended infinity's blades.;)
Gary

Rick Fouts
10-21-2007, 8:18 AM
I have some Infinity router bits and love them. I also have the planer blades for the DeWalt 735 and they're no different than the replacement blades. They make smooth cuts, but like some one else on this post said, they're too thin.

Dave Sweeney
10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Rick, what has your experience been as far as the longevity of the Infinity knives versus the OEM DeWalt knives that came with the planer? As long as they make smooth cuts and last longer than the DeWalt's their thickness would make little difference to me.

Dave Falkenstein
10-21-2007, 4:43 PM
OK, I did a Search for these knives and found a few post where people said they were going to order or had ordered these knives but hadn't installed them yet. A few said they would report back on the quality of these knives but unfortunately I couldn't find where they did that.

So is there anyone that has actually bought a set of the Infinity knives for the DeWalt Planer and installed them? It's time for me to order a set for my planer and I'm leaning heavily towards the Infinity set but a positive recommendation would make spending 33% more for them then the DeWalt knives go for a little easier to live with. Or, are they not worth the extra $$?

Dave - Depending on how long you have had your planer and how long the Dewalt blades lasted, you might want to try calling Dewalt to tell them your sad story about short blade life. Dewalt has recognized issues with the blades in the 735 planer, and you might get a new set sent to you for your trouble. I did.

ps - The Dewalt blades don't seem to me to be any thinner than the throw-away blades that I had on my old Delta planer.

Dave Sweeney
10-21-2007, 7:26 PM
Dave, actually the original knives that came with my planer have lasted quite a long time so no real sad story here. It's not that I'm unhappy with the performance of the OEM knives as much as I'm wondering if the Infinity knives have out performed the DeWalt knives.

I keep reading about people who have bought the Infinity knives but unfortunately most of those say that they have just installed them or plan to install them. No one seems to have a history with these knives. It just seems a little odd to me that if they are truly better than the OEM DeWalt's that more people haven't been boasting about what a great set of knives they are. Kinda makes me wonder if they're really worth the extra money over the DeWalt knives.

Rick Fouts
10-21-2007, 8:45 PM
Dave,
I couldn't tell any difference in the Infinity knives and the knives that came on the planer. The cut was just as smooth and they both chip out about the same.

Wade Lippman
10-21-2007, 8:51 PM
Don't know anything about Infinity, but I bought a set of Dewalt on eBay for $27. It took 6 or 7 auctions, but with patience...

Dave Sweeney
10-22-2007, 9:48 AM
Dave,
I couldn't tell any difference in the Infinity knives and the knives that came on the planer. The cut was just as smooth and they both chip out about the same.

Thanks Rick, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. If the performance isn't significantly better with the Infinity version then the OEM knives seem like the better choice with eBay possibly being the "vendor" of choice.