PDA

View Full Version : Learning The Laser Trade

David Peacock
10-20-2007, 7:19 PM
I want to learn how to use a laser and possibly buy one for small projects. Does anyone know of books on the subject or somewhere that I might learn how to use one? Thanks

Joe Pelonio
10-20-2007, 7:44 PM
I have never seen a book on it. Some of the distributors offer classes on Corel that are specific to laser use, others offer 1 hour to 1 day of training, some for a fee and other free. Mine was free but less than an hour.

I think most if not all of us trained ourselves with a lot of trial and error. You might try contacting someone in your area with a laser (from our list) and maybe someone would be willing to to spend some time with you for a few dollars or maybe a nice dinner.

Gary Hair
10-20-2007, 8:07 PM
David,
I learned all that I know from just a few sources.
1. Forums - Sawmill Creek & Engraving Etc
2. Trial and error / experimentation
3. Manufacturer info

Those are listed in the order that I got the most, and the most useful, information.

If you have any specific questions all you have to do is ask and you'll get an answer, or three...

Gary

Richard Rumancik
10-20-2007, 11:25 PM
David

A while ago I came across a manual marketed on the Internet called "CorelDraw and Your Laser Engraver" published by Mike Clarke. It is a combination of CorelDraw instruction (as applied to lasering) as well as applications info for specific materials. I have not seen the book itself, just Chapter 1. You can find some info here

http://www.engrave.ca/manual.htm

He allows you to download Chapter 1 so you get the table of contents and an idea of the level of expertise/complexity. Is it worth the $149 that is being asked? That is something you will have to decide. On one hand it looks a bit steep for a book but if it gets you into production faster, and you avoid some of the trial and error, it might pay for itself very quickly. There was one member on this forum who bought it recently - I have forgotten who it was. Maybe we can get a review of the book.

This is not a "plug" for the book, just letting you know it exists. Apparently Laserbits sells it too.

They used to advertise some of the laser engravers as being "as easy to use as a printer". Don't believe it for a minute. Yes, you can "print" to your laser by clicking, but there's a bit more to successful lasering than that.

As well, check out CDs/DVDs/VHS tapes available. Laserbits sells a Cermark CD. It isn't expensive so not a high risk.

Consider the Steve Spence video/handbook at Video Classroom
http://www.video-classroom.com/products5.htm

The video and manual together is $80.

Al Smolkowski at Smoke-Wood offers a self-published manual called "Sharing Secrets" for $89. There is very little info on the website regarding the manual - it does not even say how many pages it is. (Smoke-Wood sells the LazerDarc product). Again, I have not seen the manual myself.
http://www.smoke-wood.com/SM-wd-23.html

If you want something free, get a copy of the Synrad "Material Processing Technology" manual. It has some interesting technical info and applications info, and it will help you understand the laser better. I won't repeat how to get it; search this forum with those words and you will find my post from 2006.

If you are lucky enough to be close to a university or community college, you could enquire if they have a laser. Some university art departments have acquired laser engravers. You might be able to get some hands-on training for a reasonable price.

David Peacock
10-22-2007, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the replies Joe, Gary and Richard.

Richard, I'm going to check out all sources you have mentioned. Thanks again.
Dave

Ron Nametko
11-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Try Laser Bits. They have a online university which allows you to down load instructions and watch video clips. It covers alot of information. Basics and advanced stuff. It helped with corel draw. I had no exposure to it prior to buying my laser and it got me up and going quickly.
www.laseru.com

Mike Null
11-10-2007, 8:49 PM
Operating a laser engraver is quite simple if you have a good knowledge of CorelDraw. Learn Corel and you can operate the laser the first day.

Frank Tralongo
11-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Dave,
I recently got my laser and knew zero about corel draw, did have some light experience with photoshop, anyhow I found out about Clarks book and bought a copy.
The only place I found it was through Class Act cost is $150.00. I bought it and it has been a great help to me and I'd recommend it to all newbies.
Jeff is also some kind of a great guy, I told him of a problem I was having and told him that was the reason I wanted to buy the clarke book. He set up a go2meeting conference on line and walked me through the fix to my problem at no charge even before the book came.

BTW I bought my Epilog from a different dealer so Jeff's only sale was the book.
And for the record, I have no ties in Jeff's firm etc.etc.etc..

Jeff Aichinger
Class Act Engraving
Factory Authorized Distributors of
Epilog Laser Engraving, Cutting and Marking Systems
PO Box 21, Akron NY 14001
716.984.7321 - jeff@classact.net